Friday, March 15, 2013

Walking and Books


I signed up for the  "Walk of Life" program, and today is day #2.  My legs hurt.
(* humble admission that I am very out of shape)

We live in a very hilly area--you can't walk from our house without going  uphill or downhill. There is no flat area to walk.  But that's a good thing, right?
Before  you know it, I won't be huffing and puffing the whole time.  
(*another humble admission, that every spring starts out with me huffing and puffing and then by summer's end, it's an easy walk for me.  It's the below freezing temps that keep me inside during the winter)

But the Walk of Life is different.  I have to  'make a life change'  and 'eat healthy'  (sigh).  It's 70 days to a better me.  (I'll keep you updated.)

One thing I can tell you--day 2 of walking is a better me.  It puts me in a great frame of mind. 
So....WHY do I ever stop?  Activity  (walking for me)  is so good for your  mind.  

Another added benefit?  I get to listen to a book on my iPod. 
Woo hoo!  

Right now I'm listening to  "Flight Behavior" by Barbara Kingsolver.







I'm finding it very interesting.  She narrates the book herself, and I had read a couple of reviews that said, while she is a great writer, she should leave the narration to someone more professional.
While she's not the best I've ever heard,   she certainly isn't bad. 
Flight Behavior is also my  Lit Wits Book club has chosen for March.  I can't wait!  It will be an interesting discussion. 

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:
Flight Behavior is a brilliant and suspenseful novel set in present day Appalachia; a breathtaking parable of catastrophe and denial that explores how the complexities we inevitably encounter in life lead us to believe in our particular chosen truths. Kingsolver's riveting story concerns a young wife and mother on a failing farm in rural Tennessee who experiences something she cannot explain, and how her discovery energizes various competing factions—religious leaders, climate scientists, environmentalists, politicians—trapping her in the center of the conflict and ultimately opening up her world. Flight Behavior is arguably Kingsolver's must thrilling and accessible novel to date, and like so many other of her acclaimed works, represents contemporary American fiction at its finest

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Our neighborhood is hilly too. I walk so I tackle the toughest hill first and my walk home is kind of downhill.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...