Tuesday, September 12, 2017

First Chapter, First paragraph, Tuesday Intros




Today is Tuesday--- which means I'll be joining up with Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea and her First Chapter, First Paragraph
Tuesday Intros.
Where,  bloggers post the first paragraph of a book they are thinking of reading --- and get everyone's opinion to see if it grabbed them from the beginning or not.


My paragraph:

It was a summer of firsts.  The first month of our first summer in Vermont. The summer solstice, June the twenty-first: the first time I went to my garden naked.


What do you think?
Should I keep on reading?


It might not be a book I would have chosen on my own, but I have to keep on reading, as it's for my 'Totally Lit' bookclub next week.
I'll let you know what I think.

Here is what Goodreads says:
(it has 3.6 stars)

In a remote forest of northern Vermont, Katelyn Cross takes five women on a wilderness canoe trip where they hope to come up with ideas for saving their dying town. Although the river is not always what it seems and the women have not left their problems behind, a painting ritual creates a new way to look at the world - and themselves. Artist Katelyn Cross loves Greg Mazur and he loves her. He wants to be married but a previous relationship that went sour has made Katelyn overly cautious about any permanent commitment. And what about Greg's first wife? He lost her to cancer and Katelyn worries that he's only looking for a replacement. What's a girl to do? Canoe down a river with five gal pals, camp out, catch fish, talk about life and men. The problem is, a river can be as unpredictable as any relationship and just as hard to manage. On their last day, when the river turns wild, the women face the challenge of a lifetime and find that staying alive means saving themselves first while being open to help from a most unlikely source. As Katelyn navigates the raging water, she learns how to overcome her fear of change in a world where nothing stays the same. When Katelyn returns to her garden, she'll face one more obstacle and the naked gardener will meet the real Greg Mazur.

What readers are saying about The Naked Gardener:

Lyrical ... Scandalous ... Empowering ... Exhilarating ... Honest ... Sensual ... Fun ... Gentle ... Pleasurable ... Transporting ... Timeless

In her first novel, award winning writer L B Gschwandtner explores the push and pull of love, a woman's need to maintain her individuality within marriage, and the bonds that can make women stronger even when the world feels as if it's breaking apart.


3 comments:

Margot said...

I love my book club because they are always getting me to read things I would normally never go near. Then I'm surprised by how much I enjoy those books. I hope you enjoy The Naked Gardener. It's off to a good start.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm loving the sound of this. I hope you enjoy it.

Katherine P said...

I don't think I have the right mind frame to garden naked. My first thought was "but what about the mosquitoes?" I'll be curious to see your thoughts on this one.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...