Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Friday Friend Recipe #163 -- Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes


Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!

What is it, you may ask?

In a nutshell...
About 18 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?

Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings me to recipes #163
 Charmie's Cheesy Mashed Potatoes



Never can you go wrong with a potato recipe.
Even if it's instant.
You have to admit---instant potatoes are a lot better than they used to be.


Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
Charmie West
Elko, NV

2 cups water
2 cups milk
6 T butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 c. Hungry Jack Instant Potatoes
1 carton sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese

Bring liquids to boil with butter and onion.
Add instant potatoes and stir. Add sour cream.
Put into buttered baking dish and top with cheddar.
Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.
Serves 4.



And now---a brand new friend to the Fridays!
Charmie's first time ever in the Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown!
To be perfectly frank--I forced her to turn in recipes, because it was a 'thing' for us Friday Friends.  And I didn't want her to be left out of the fun.  She would be the first one to confess--she is not a cook.  Instant, fast, and minimalist is how she rolls.
Our youngest sons were best friends from 1st grade on--- but when they were about 12, her son Robbie was eating dinner at our house when I made mashed potatoes.
He said, "Wow!  These are really good!"
When he found out they were real potatoes, just mashed with butter and cream, he said,  "You can really do that? Just use a potato?"
His had always been out of a box.

So here's to Charmie being a good sport and turning in not just this one, but 2 more recipes after this!

One summer about 20  years ago (HOLY COW, how did that happen?) We took them up to our cabin in Oregon. 
We did a bit of hiking--on the proper trails. While resting, enjoying a beer or two, we heard a ruckus from above. Not heaven, but on the mountain/forest above our trail.  Our boys had hiked a back way, braving deep woods, bears and Boy Scouts to get to us.
(yes, they ran thru the boy scout camp and were chased by scouts to GET OUT!  This is why sometimes using the proper trails is the best thing to do)


Good thing too, as we needed a photo of the four of us.
The Handyman, me, Charmie and Steve.


Then because we were goofy youngsters in our late 30's  we decided to act like we were falling in the river.
In reality we were not even close to falling in.


And then we laughed.
Because...that's what friends do together.
(it seems I did get close enough to get a splash or two of something?)


And there you have it friends... recipe #163
Only 131 left to go.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Everything's better with cheese!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...