Monday, June 14, 2010

It's Monday--What Are you Reading and other memes

It's Monday What are you Reading is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at "One Persons Journey Through a World of Books"


What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.


This past week, I finished "The Irresistible Henry House" by Lisa Grunwald.
I loved the book at the beginning. It drug a bit in the middle for me, but it all came together in the end.
It would be a great book for book clubs as it leads to great discussion.
In the early 1900's through the 1960's, Home economics programs at colleges, "borrowed" babies from orphanages, and kept them in "practice" Houses (hence Henry's last name), then gave them back when the class/program ended. Grunwald's book goes into how a babies raised in such an environment might have commitment issues their whole lives thru.
To be honest, I didn't really like Henry very much. But the book, on the whole was worth reading. 


 Then I read the 2nd in the Sookie Stackhouse series, "Dead in Dallas," by Charlene Harris. It was a fun, quick read, and I really like Sookie.








This week, even tho I'm not officially joining this challenge, (because it would by humiliating for me to read one or two books on my TBR pile, while the other bloggers read 10 or so... ~smiles~), I am going to follow along with Bookworming in the 21st Century, and read things that are sitting in my TBR pile




Kristen at Bookworming in the 21st century....

is having a week long "read-a-thon". It's the Huge TBR Readathon. She says,
Come and join me in my insanity. The fun starts today at whatever time you start reading (it's Monday here!) and will run until this coming Sunday (so June 14-20) .

Actually mine for the week will be more of finishing up books I've already started....

So, for my list this week:


I am currently reading, "Every Secret Thing" by Laura Lippman. I love her Tess Monaghan series, but this is a stand alone. I started it in the doctors office on Thursday...it was the only thing in my purse. I think I'll really like it. Once I finish it, I'm on to:




Watership Down by Richard Adams. I need to finish it. It's not that I don't like it, but you have to be very focused. At least I do. 





Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On! by Shellie Rushing Tomlinson





Street Gang, the complete History of Sesame Street, by Michael Davis. 





The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. I'm having a hard time getting into this one, but my friends say it's good once you do. I'll give it one more try.









*****************************************************
 
 
 
Monday Musing



Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading!
This week’s question was inspired by an online book group I belong to…
Who in your family (both immediate & extended) are readers, and who are not?



My immediate family? Yes, my husband is a reader, but this was not always true. For years and years he didn't read but maybe one book a year, and then he'd pick huge monstrous things like Centennial by James Michner. In the past 5 years tho, he has found that he enjoys reading, which makes it nice, because he's had to tag alone with me over the years to every used book store we see, every Barnes and Noble and every library. I guess if you can't beat 'em,
JOIN 'EM.


My children are all grown.   One is an avid reader, One is a "few books a year" type of reader, One does not read at all, except to his children. One DIL, reads all the time, and very fast too. She has her own blog "So many books". 


My father read all the time, my mom not until the past 5 years or so, but now she is catching up for time lost! My brother is a reader, all 4 of my grandparents were readers.


I think tho, that (besides my dil) I am the biggest bookworm in the family.



 
 
 


4 comments:

zetor said...

My answeris here, http://zetor-mogsblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/musings-monday.html

I think reading is definitely infectious all my household are readers.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

I love the Sookie Stackhouse series. I think I'm on the 5th one and still enjoying it.

Nise' said...

I just started the Sookie series and am looking forward to book 2.

My dad read one or two huge books a year too.

Have a great reading week.

heather said...

I couldn't get into the Henry House book. Street Gang I really enjoyed though.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...