Monday, June 7, 2010

Musing Mondays and It's Monday--What are you Reading

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted (once again) by MizB at Should Be Reading!



Where is your most often used (favorite) reading spot? Do you have more than one? What makes your favorite spot just that?
Share pictures if you have them!


My favorite place to read? Well, the place I read most of the time is here:



In a chair in my living room.... It's comfy, I have a table with books, pictures of some of my grandchildren, a plant, and still enough room to sit my coffee cup in the morning. And a blanket/afghan if I get cold. I sit facing my big window in the living room and if I read everything on the table, I have more books in the basket by the chair and on the floor below.


If truth be told tho, my FAVORITE place to read is on the patio swing. It's just that our weather has been so bad lately, I haven't gotten a chance to just lay out there and read. I look forward to doing that. I like to read and listen to the birds and see the flowers.




OH...speaking of birds...we have a hummingbird back at our hummingbird nest. (see here for last years hummingbird pics/story)


I don't know if hummingbirds reuse their nests or this is a new one.


Either way, this is a more aggressive hummingbird. My adult son, says it's like a giant mosquito coming after you every time you go out onto the patio.


We ate dinner out there last night. She better get used to us quick. I plan to sit/lay on the patio swing and do some serious reading this weekend.




It's Monday What are you Reading is another weekly meme hosted by Sheila at "One Persons Journey Through a World of Books"

What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.
 
I just finished "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult (this morning sitting in that same chair by the way). My daughter-in-law, Sadie got me a signed copy when she went to a book reading/signing by Picoult.



I liked it very much, and I really didn't "clue in" on the ending. Picoult always has a twist at the end. My DIL told me that the twists are controversial for a lot of people....they don't like to be taken by surprise. I know there is a twist, but I can never figure it out. I believe that is my subconscious saving myself from knowing the ending in advance and not that I am too dim-witted to figure it out. ~grins~

Well, I just finished "House Rules" this morning and then I started "The Irresistible Henry House" by Lisa Grunwald. Henry House is a "practice baby", on loan from an orphanage to a College Home Economics program in the late 1940's. The class of women learned to care of infants and toddlers, then around the age of 2, the orphan was given back to the orphanage and a new infant was brought to the practice house.



I just started it, but I'm loving it.


The weird thing is, that I guess programs such as this did exist in the 40's and 50's.


It'll be interesting to see where the story goes.

9 comments:

MizB said...

Oh, those reading spots look divine! Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! :D

Karen said...

Looks like nice reading spot! I have a gate leg table, too. Belonged to my paternal grandmother & was the first piece of furniture she and my grandfather bought when they got married in 1922. She said it cost $20 then. I bought the book "Eye of my Heart" about grandmothers... haven't started reading it yet. I'll have to find me a favorite spot to read :)

Anonymous said...

Love your reading spots especially the patio swing. I want one now. LOL

http://readingreadingandlife.blogspot.com/2010/06/musing-mondays.html

bermudaonion said...

I love to sit on my front porch and read but this hasn't been a good year for it - at first it was the pollen and now it's the heat.

Curling up by the Fire said...

I don't really have a favourite spot to read. I can just about park myself anywhere and enjoy the relaxation as the time is precious and few and far between.

The Irresistible Henry House sounds pretty good. I am looking forward to reading your views on it.

Enjoy your reading week!

The1stdaughter said...

Your reading chair looks wonderful! Although, I may end up taking a nap there too! :o)

I envy you for not figuring out House Rules before it finished. I knew way too early and it completely ruined the book for me. I just ended up thinking it was terribly boring, but I think I'm way in the minority on that one.

Have a fantastic reading week and if you get a chance, stop by: Monday Reading's at There's A Book

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Your front porch is gorgeous. I love to read outside!

I recently finished House Rules too and the ending actually angered me a bit. I wont go into details (but on my post I have a spoiler button so I can rant...) LOL

Thanks for join in this Monday :D

rosasdolcevita said...

Your porch looks so inviting! I can picture myself lying on the swing and really get me into reading my German books (I don't have the motivation right now). LOL

My favourite place at the moment is in bed just before falling asleep. Before having kids, I used to sit next to a window and read my book while it rained. There was something very comforting and soothing about the rain. Unfortunately, I don't get to do that now. Maybe after the kids are all grown up and moved out of the house. hehehe

Pam said...

Love your porch swing and it looks like a great place to read. Love JP books also. I'm not reading "With No Witness" the 12th book in the Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George. She definitely knows how to write! My favorite reading spot is my recliner with a stand of good books and magazines beside it and room for a coffee cup, about like yours.

Interesting with the hummingbirds! We have baby wrens in the wren house now and they chatter away all day.

Happy reading!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...