Thursday, July 17, 2014

Picnic Salad (and Friday Friend Recipe #14)


This was originally published in 2010, but since it's a Throwback Thursday and this is a Friday Friend recipe (read all the way to the end) I am updating and reposting it today.
Please read to the end, as I've updated it a bit.


I learned to love cooking from watching my mom.

Throughout the years I have collected all of my mom's recipes.
(as well as all my mother-in-law's, as well as most of my friends recipes)


My mom used to make this salad that I called a picnic salad. It's kind of like a classic three-bean salad (the same kind of dressing anyway), but made with canned vegetables. Canned veggies but with a good crunch from some celery, green peppers and onions. I love this tangy salad.
It's good for a picnic because there is no mayo to spoil and you can make it the night before, and it's easy.


While looking for the recipe in my 3-ring notebook of salad recipes, I found 2 very similar recipes from my mom. VERY SIMILAR.
Here they are.... I think this time I mixed and matched. I used the salad ingredients from the White Corn Salad and the dressing from the Delicious Salad.


I love this salad. (I think I said that before)


White Corn Salad

1 15oz can white corn drained
1 15oz can petite peas drained
1 15oz can French cut green beans drained
1/2 cup chopped purple onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 small jar diced pimento


Marinade
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cub vinegar


Bring the marinade ingredients to boil and cool.
Pour over drained veggies, stir softly.
Refrigerate over night.
Enjoy!!


OR


Delicious Salad
1 can French cut green beans
1 can shoe peg corn niblets
1 can petite peas
2 cups diced celery
1 cup green onions or red onions diced
1 cup water chestnuts sliced
1 small jar pimento


Marinade
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp water


Drain all the canned veggies. Bring the marinade ingredients to a boil and cool thoroughly. Mix all together and put in the fridge overnight.
Drain before serving.


7/17/14
I am updating this to include it in my Friday Friend recipe challenge.   The one where I am going to make everything in the FF cookbook.  I was looking thru recipes and decided  that it is okay if I include recipes I made prior to my challenge date    .   So again, this one is from my mom's collection,  it's kind of sentimental right now--we have been traveling up to Washington every 2-3 weeks, for a long weekend, to sort and go thru their home of 50years.  My dad passed away in April and my mother is in an assisted living facility for dementia and Alzheimer's, so to put it bluntly, we have to sell their home to be able to keep her there getting the care and attention she needs.   In her day she loved to cook and have picnic's.
Here is a picture of  the Handyman and me with my parents  at The Rimrock Inn, outside of Enterprise, Oregon.  It's a great GREAT place to have a meal.  More on that later....


7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Yummy! I want to go on a picnic with you!

Heather S-G said...

I'll take both!! Yum, I'm going to bookmark and try both versions...I'm craving some good picnic food =)

Karen said...

This does sound good, except I'd have to put frozen peas instead of canned peas... can't stand the ones in the can!

caite said...

I happen to love canned green beans, but I agree that I would have to use frozen pea. Canned peas...no.

~~louise~~ said...

Perfect recipes for International Picnic Day, June 18th! Wait! Even better for National Picnic Month in July! Maybe you could "bring" them to the Picnic Game this year. Check my blog post Sunday (13th) to see if you would like to play.

Thanks for sharing, Debbie. I adore three-ring-binder recipes harvested from loved ones:)

bermudaonion said...

I'd make the second recipe because I love water chestnuts.

Watching our parents age is so tough, isn't it?

Tina said...

I love these salad recipes, glad you sent me the link. You and your family look great!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...