Monday, August 29, 2011

Lemonade Pie





I am laughing at my own pictures.  Apparently I did not 'mix' my ice-cream and lemonade very thoroughly.  LOOK!!  You can still see  little pockets of  vanilla ice-cream.   I guess that just gives my pie some character.

This lemonade pie was....wonderful!  It's a great summer pie, and will be going on my list of great summer desserts.  (You know, those ones we love but don't make as often as we would like because we are food bloggers!   See yesterday's post if you don't understand this reference ). It is now one of my top five to make in the summer time.  It's a bit tart---the lemonade flavor really comes thru---so you must like lemon flavor---but also very sweet and it just melts in your mouth.   My friend Brenda says it tastes just like a cold glass of lemonade.  And it does.

And here is where I must confess---once again---I got the recipe from Brenda at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen.  (sigh) But isn't that what good friends are for?  Don't you go to someone's house, enjoy the meal they prepare for you and then ask for the recipe?    I do it all the time.   
I have never actually been to  Brenda's house.  She lives in Toronto, I live in Winnemucca, NV.  But...we have met.  In Las Vegas, last November.   I consider her a friend, so I'm borrowing her recipes.

She's probably laughing, looking at my polk-a-dots.


When I served  this pie to friends, it was on the patio, after dinner and it was dark....no one saw my polk-a-dots.
What they thought, was that  was a good pie.  I didn't just try this out on the Handyman, no I invited guests too.  It was a hit with everybody.
Just the perfect pie to have on a hot  summer evening.  (while the rest of the country is cooling down, heading towards fall, we have been hitting almost 100 lately)
I  made the pie according to the directions with ALL OF  Brenda's variations.  I used a ready made graham cracker crust  (I used the extra big one, so it made a big pie. ) and I used Cool Whip and not real whipping cream.
It was a great dessert.  Super easy with only a few ingredients, whipped up in just a moment.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.




Pink Lemonade Pie
from Brenda's Canadian Kitchen



CRUST
4 1/2 cups CHEERIOS cereal, finely crushed
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 T sugar


NOTE - I used a ready made graham cracker crust

FILLING
1 quart (1 L) vanilla ice cream, softened
1/2 can (341 ml) frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 cup whipping/heavy cream, whipped
Red food colouring
Lemon or lime wedge, if desired

In small bowl, combine all crust ingredients; mix well. Press mixture in bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Chill for 30 minutes before filling.


In large bowl, mix ice cream, lemonade concentrate, whipped cream and a few drops food colouring. Spoon and spread ice-cream mixture into crust.


Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature a few minutes before cutting. Garnish with lime or lemon wedge if desired.


Variations:
If a crispier crust is desired, bake crust at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes.


Spray a metal spoon with non-stick cooking spray, and use the back of the spoon to press the crumb mixture into the pie plate.
1/2 tub (1 L) frozen whipped topping, thawed, can be used instead of whipped cream.


Serves 6-8.





5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That does look simple. My husband would probably love it, but he's just discovered that he's lactose intolerant. :(

Anonymous said...

I love your polka-dots!!! Seriously, it does add character. Your pie has more personality than mine did. I might have to make this again this weekend. I'm pretty sure I have to. Glad you enjoyed it!

The Church Cook said...

Isn't pink with white polka dots the new fad in the culinary world? ;) Looks fabulous, I bet it tasted fantastic, too!

sadie607 said...

This sounds good. I think I could probably make this.

Karen said...

I like the polka dots! This sounds good. I've never made an ice cream pie!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...