Friday, August 19, 2011

WWII movies?

I haven't talked about books in quite some time....but just now I finished "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand and while I'm not planning on reviewing it  (right now), I had to say something about it, because it is sticking in my mind.
I listened to it on audio.  I had my Mp3 player, my Zune, plugged into my ears for the past 2 days straight, because I couldn't put it down. 
It was just an amazing story.


Listening to the book, tho  (and since the mornings are cooler and are reminding me of fall),  has made me want to watch some WWII movies.   WWII movies have never been at the top of my list of  movies I really want to see,  but right now I am euphoric (that word might be a little over the top, but I can't think of another one right now)  about WWII veterans and their spirit.   (not to mention that I love history and this has re-sparked an interest of mine in that time period)

Without Googling,  the Handyman and I were trying to think of great WWII movies.
We came up with  "The Dirty Dozen",  "The Bridge on the River Kwai",  "The Great Escape",  "Kelly's Heroes".
There must be more.....
....any ideas?

I will wait for the first chilly autumn day.....(of course it has to be a Saturday, with nothing else to do),  make some chocolate chip cookies and have a movie- fest.   It would be perfect if it rained that day.

2 comments:

Coffeymuse said...

Might give the movie Midway a shot. Lots of "What's His Name?" actors in it. And don't forget the Spielburg duo: Schlinder's List and Saving Private Ryan.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above commenter about Saving Private Ryan (I haven't seen Schindler's List). How about "Patton"? Also, a couple of newer WWII titles are:
"Letters From Iwo Jima" and
"Flags of Our Fathers"

I would recommend reading these books first, though. I loved them both. The movies were good, too. Another HBO series that's good is "Band of Brothers".
If you want to read another WWII nonfiction book try "In the Garden of the Beasts". It's a new book and I'm in the middle of it right now. Another book..."War Dogs". It's amazing the role dogs played in assisting American soldiers in the Pacific island fighting. Happy reading!
Vonnie in MN

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...