Friday, September 16, 2011

Rocky Road Pie


It rained last night.  We had thunder and lightning and rain-- lots of rain...in a  short time. A 'beware of flash floods' kind of rain.  That's how it rolls in the desert. 
  
I sat out on my patio on the swing, wrapped in a blanket loving every minute of it.  Nothing smells as good, sounds as good,  or feels as good as a rainstorm in the desert.  
The only thing that would have made my pleasure complete would have been to have a piece of this  Rocky Road Pie and a hot cup of coffee.  BUT, there was none left as we ate it all (with a little help from friends) the other night.
I just might have to make it again!



I served this when we had company for dinner--it was an 'ooooo' kind of dessert as it looks so pretty when you bring it out.  I should have taken a picture of the whole pie, but I didn't.  Even my friend Theresa said,  "do you want to take a picture? It looks so pretty."    They know me so well. And the good thing is?  They put up with me.
Anyway, I should have listened to her.

When you make this, you will get  a lot  "oooohhss and aaahhhs" from the table.  Besides being  show stopping pretty,  (as a whole pie that is--it looks kind of messy when you try to cut it)   this was one of the  easiest desserts I've ever made.  The most time consuming part was the 20 minutes it took to bake the  cake base.  It was super simple and super good.    A  chocolate cake base with a  mousse-like topping filled with marshmallows and nuts, drizzled with a chocolate glaze.  It is very much like a Rocky Road Candy bar.
  
The top layer was--ambrosial.    (yes, ambrosial--don't laugh too much) Ambrosial.  Tasted heavenly.  Pretty darn good.  Great. Marvelous.
It was really, really, really good.  Who knew that  dry cake mix and whipping cream would make a mousse-like texture?   I'm thinking what a great way to just make a faux-mousse and serve it just plain.  It was that good.
The Handyman did not like the nuts in the mousse layer, so that again, is personal preference.

We both agreed that we would have preferred a more brownie like base, a denser and chewier base.  That's just us tho...it was great as is and I would definitely make this again for company...it's too dangerous to have in the house if you are by yourself.
It's a perfect, easy, no-stress, never fail, kind of dessert. 




Rocky Road Pie Recipe

source:  Lady Behind the Curtain

Ingredients
1 package chocolate fudge cake mix
2/3 cup water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 - 3/4 cups chilled whipping cream
2/3 cup miniature marshmallows
2/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
chocolate glaze (below)


Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and dust a 9-in pie plate with sugar. Reserve 1 - 2/3 cups lightly packed cake mix (dry). Beat remaining cake mix, the water, oil and eggs. Beat until smooth. Spread in pie plate. Bake until cake springs back when touched lightly in center, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely.


Beat whipping cream and reserved cake mix (dry) until stiff. Fold in marshmallows, walnuts and chocolate chips. Spread over cooled cake. Prepare Chocolate Glaze, immediately drizzle over top. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Refrigerate any remaining dessert.


Chocolate Glaze Ingredients and Directions
Heat 1 tablespoon whipping cream, 1 teaspoon butter and 1 ounce coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate in a microwave until melted and smooth.






5 comments:

Julie said...

Hello chocolate deliciousness! Looks amazing to me...it would get plenty of ooh's and ahh's around here.

Kathy Walker said...

This looks way too good to pass up. My hubby loves rocky road ice cream, he would really like this!

Anonymous said...

This is on my "to make" list Debbie! Not only does it sound and look delicious, but I didn't know you could make mousse with cake mix and whipping cream either! Very cool!

Karen said...

Heavy cream and cake mix? Well, I learn something new every day! Rocky Road is my *favorite* kind of ice cream, so I know I'd love this pie.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Yum! This would be tasty, I love rocky road.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...