Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie #5


Contrary to popular belief, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth....I am still here.  Just been crazy busy and it'll take to long to explain, so let me just say--I have made more cookies!  And these are out of my book  (the book I'm working my way thru)



What can I say about these cookies?
This is what I wrote in my cookbook:
GREAT straight out of the oven--20 minutes after
A bit dry the next day, but still a good taste.
Add a glass of milk and you're good to go.

I followed the directions exactly--even down to this comment:
the success of this recipe is dependent upon rolling up your sleeves and mixing everything with your hands.



It was kind of weird, mixing it all with my hands, but I did it.
And the cookies were good.  They were made with shortening.  I just used regular Crisco (not butter flavored) and they tasted great.
I know some of you are saying  "yeah, so?"  But to me, butter has a better flavor, or so I thought.  I was surprised, but pleasantly so
  I think butter makes a flatter cookie tho, these had a great look.



Chocolate Chip Cookie #5

4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups shortening
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking soda and salt. Add shortening, squeezing and kneading dough thouroughly with hands.  Add eggs and vanilla, and continue to knead  by  hand until dough is firm.   Add chocolate chips and nuts.
Form  1-inch balls of dough and place about  2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at  375 degrees for about  10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 2 minutes before removing from baking sheets with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.





I'm still making my way thru  Stephen King's "IT".  I haven't read for a week almost tho.  I had family come.  A houseful of family.  I was only expecting  4 and ended up having  8.
It was so much fun.

As my almost  3-year old grandson says:
I be back!

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

They do look yummy!

Karen said...

Those do look pretty - all mounded up and everything. Gosh, I haven't used Crisco in years. I may give this one a try!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, my favourite cookie, the KAF ones, use half butter and half shortening. I love that they don't flatten out (as you said the shortening keeps them from doing that). These look REALLY good. I want some. Now. Please.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...