Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Before I Go to Sleep

We read this book for my  "Totally Lit" book club in May.  I had heard mixed reviews, one being--Sheila at Book Journey  (and by the way, she gives a great review of the book, even tho she was frustrated by it), so I wasn't quite sure what to think.  I ended up reading the book in one whole sitting.  Of course I was in the car on our drive back from Washington state over  Memorial Day Weekend. 
One could say I had no where to go--so I couldn't exactly put the book down, BUT, I had other books, magazines and an audio I could have switched too.  I didn't tho.  I  really liked it.  It kept me guessing....it was one of those stories where you knew something wasn't quite right, something sinister was going on, but you are not quite sure what it is.  It kept me guessing till the end, as it did all those in my book club.
We all enjoyed it.  As my friend Kay said, she kept coming back to it because she wanted to find out what happened.

I, too, have heard the rumor it might be made into a movie...I will be looking forward to that one.

Oh...and for some reason most of us were surprised to discover that S.J. Watson was a man.  We just assumed SJ was a woman.  (and you know what my dad always told me about assuming... )

Here is what Goodreads says:
'As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me ...' Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life

It sounds a little reminiscent of  "50 First Dates", doesn't it?  At least I thought so when I first  read the synopsis, but  while the basic idea of using amnesia as the story's main perdiciment is the same, the storyline, situations and characters are nothing like that comedy/movie.

Next up for Totally Lit?
Catherine the Great by Robert Massey

No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...