Friday, July 6, 2012

Chocolate chip cookies #7



Browned Butter Cream Cheese Cookies.  They are all the rage.  I know this because I've seen them a few times in the blogging world.  The trouble is...these cookies aren't chewy/crispy they are just soft.
So, I guess it all just depends on what you like.... the browned butter smelled really good, and maybe gave a depth of flavor.  I liked the sea salt (which I didn't have so I used kosher salt) sprinkled on top, but I didn't like the texture.  Of course I've been eating them, as has the Handyman.  I mean, they have all the same ingredients as every other chocolate chip cookie ever made--except for the cream cheese--just put together a bit differently.
So..they were good...just not for me.
(I'm feeling some guilt here, for not being crazy about them,  because they were a fine cookie and everyone  else is raving about them but for 'me'... I want a slightly crispy cookie that is chewy inside.   The guilt is just part of my personality.  ~smiles~)

YOU just might LOVE them tho.  So go ahead, give them a try!

I  originally bookmarked  this recipe from  Beantown Baker.  (who did love them)




BROWNED BUTTER CREAM CHEESE COOKIES

Ingredients (2 dozen large cookies)
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cups brown sugar
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • sea salting, for sprinkling (optional)

Instructions
Melt the butter in a saucepan until brown and set it aside to cool.
Cream the butter, cream cheese and both sugars together with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add the eggs and beat until combined.
Turn the mixer on low and mix in the flour, salt and baking soda until just combined.
Add the chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated.
Cover the dough and refrigerate until chilled, several hours or overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a few trays with baking paper.
Roll 1/4 cup size balls of dough and place them on the trays. Flatten slightly. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake for 9-12 minutes, until the edges are golden.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

They sound good to me! I don't eat a lot of cookies but I do like for them to be soft.

Kathy Walker said...

I just found a recipe for Brown Butter Cookies but they didn't have chocolate chips...since I like a crisp/chewy combo I will have to rethink the plan. They do look good, though...

Karen said...

They look good. I prefer a little crunch, too. And no salt (after having tried it) and NO bacon - did not like bacon in my CCCs!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...