Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Banana Bread (again)




Yes, I've already posted an banana bread recipe--but it wasn't mine.   It was someone else's that I wanted to make a couple of years ago, and while it was very good, it wasn't what I usually make.
Since Saturday was National Banana Bread day and I had very (VERY) dark bananas, I decided to make some and  I thought I might as well post it.  It's the same banana bread that my mom makes--the one we have made for years.

Let me back track just a little bit here--because I've said this before--but it seems to me, most of the time, that people who like to cook don't always have a signature recipe because we like to try new things constantly.  
People who don't really like to cook, find a recipe that they like and stick with it for the rest of their lives.  And then they become famous for them.
I resent them for that---I'm just sayin'.  I mean, some of my best friends who hate to cook, get asked to bring that 'special dish' all the time.  Then they look at me and think  'who the hell knows what she'll bring!'  (ahhh, but they like it because it's always good!  Well, most of the time.  I am brave enough to bring a never before made dish to someone's home.  Turns out great--99% of the time)

Okay, now I'm off my rant!   My point?  That maybe I should stick with the tried and true also, because I know it's always going to be a hit.
Speaking of hits....
This is the banana bread that my mom has made for years, as have I.  It's a good moist banana bread. I gave half to my son and his wife, because otherwise, the  Handyman and I would have eaten ALL OF IT.  And believe me, we don't need to be doing that.   It is on a splattered old recipe card  (You could see it if you followed the Friday Friends on facebook), but that just  means it's been used and loved, right?




Banana Bread
from Debbie's mom

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sour milk  (we just do the homemade buttermilk thing--milk with a splash of lemon juice in it and let it set for about  5 minutes)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed bananas

Combine ingredients in order given, adding bananas last.  Bake in a loaf pan at 350 for an hour.

That's it in a nutshell.  
But...be sure and mix the sugar and shortening before adding eggs, then mix again, then add the dry ingredients.  
I had to figure that out for myself when I was very young!
And grease and flour the loaf pan, or the two loaf pans
You can add nuts if you want to.  I like them, but no one else does.



6 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

I totally agree with your rant!! I tried a few different banana bread recipes and always seem to find myself wandering back to my mom's....but maybe that is because she always puts frosting on the top of hers....and no, I don't need it...but, yes.....I want to eat it all!! and....I have bananas in need of attention....

Karen said...

I'm not a huge fan of B. bread, but I did find one that I like... it's Emeril's.

bermudaonion said...

I wish I'd known it was National Banana Bread day - I would have had a banana bread beer.

Susan Lindquist said...

WE actually love the Joy of Cooking banana bread recipe ... that's the 'go to', but I also love this banana bread recipe that has rum and coconut and macadamia nuts in it ... it's jazzy, but I love it! Then, there's the banana bread recipe with walnuts and chocolate chips. That's a good one too ... I guess I'm pretty flexible when it comes to this old chestnut!

All hail the freckled bananas!

Angela said...

My son ADORES banana bread, he can polish off a loaf in a sitting. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.

Elizabeth said...

Yummy...how can I follow by e-mail please?

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...