Tuesday, August 6, 2013

First Chapter


Every Tuesday, Diane from Bibliophile From the Sea hosts, First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where she shares a  paragraph (or few) of a book she is reading or thinking about reading soon. I am going to join her this week....care to join also?

Last night before heading off to bed, I grabbed 3 books off my shelf--ones I have been wanting to read.  I am going to share all 3 with you because I need help on deciding what to read next!

First paragraph of book #1:
Today is Christmas Eve. Today is my birthday.  Today I am fifteen. I buried my parents in the backyard.
Neither of them is beloved.

First paragraph of book #2:
Billy Gray was my best friend and I fell in love with his mother. Love may be too strong a word, but I do not  know a weaker one that will apply.  All this happened half a century ago.  I was fifteen and Mrs. Gray was thirty-five.

First paragraph of book #3:
She's waking up.

When I was a children's librarian at an elementary school, I had a huge bulletin board to decorate and I never knew what to do with it. I usually had a crafty parent volunteer decorate it, but one time I put up famous lines from Children's books, such as:
Charlotte's Web:  Where's Papa going with that axe?
Lemony Snickett:  If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book.
I also put up the book jackets and the kids had to guess which line went with which book.  It was tons of fun.
Anyway, now I want YOU to match me up with a book based on first paragraphs.
Choose for me---sight unseen.

Okay to be fair, you want to see some book jackets too?
Here are the books that those lines come from.  They are not in any order-- you choose what line goes with what book.  And then what one I should read.

And then head on over to Bibliophile By the Sea to join in the fun!




3 comments:

Literary Feline said...

The Death of Bees is easy to guess since I've read the book. :-) I really liked it and hope you will too!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I read Death of Bees and enjoyed it - (3) intros -- how great. Enjoy and thanks for joining us today.

JoAnn said...

Three interesting intros. I'm most drawn to the second - John Banville is a great writer.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...