Saturday, February 2, 2019

Friday Friend Recipe #220 - Celery Seed Dressing








My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #220
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)

Celery Seed Dressing

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....

...and the rest is cookbook history!




This is truly the best salad dressing ever.  I got it from an old Amish Cookbook.  I don't make it often because it's just faster 
( speaking of fast, my daughter-in-law Mara just squeezes lime juice onto her salads and that's good too!) to open a bottle of salad dressing off the shelf, but nothing can compare to a home-made dressing.
On this we can agree---right?


Celery Seed Dressing
me/Debbie Stone
Winnemucca, NV

2/3 cup sugar
2 t. lemon juice
1 t. powdered mustard
1 t. salt
1/4 t. white pepper
1 small onion, finely minced
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 t. celery seed

Place the first 6 ingredients and half the vinegar in a blender.  Blend well.  With the blender still running, add the oil and the rest of the vinegar. Blend thoroughly.  Stir in celery seed.

You can always adjust the amount of sugar in this recipe. 




Now for my story!
It's about me!
Once upon a time there used to be a thing called WORLD BOOK NIGHT, where publishers gave out books to people to give out to other people.  FOR FREE!
I'm not sure what happened to World Book night---maybe it got so big that publishers put the brakes on.  I mean you  can only give away so many millions of books, right?  Anyway, it first went by the wayside in the United States.  Europe held on for a while, but I haven't heard anything about WORLD BOOK NIGHT for a long time now.
This is how it worked--you filled out a form on line and, picked a few titles from a list of many - the publishers printed special editions with WORLD BOOK NIGHT printed on them- and then if they approved you, you had to pick up the books at a pre-approved location.  (I drove to a bookstore in Elko, NV, 2 hours away to pick up books the first year.  The 2nd and 3rd years they shipped them directly to me)
Then it was your job that day  (April 23) to just hand out books.
This was going on thru-out the country, books being laid on theater chairs, books being given out at blood drives, at baseball games, at dance recitals, in coffee shops....
Two of my very good friends and I participated in the very 1st WORLD BOOK NIGHT,  and this is how we did it in our little town:

First we advertised on the Chamber of Commerce's marquee.


This marquee has been gone for about ten years now--we have moved on the digital age.
I work at the Chamber of Commerce, so getting the marquee was easy and cheap.
We had lots of honkers--but no one really understood what we were doing.


Me, Jean and Robin--street walkers for books!
Don't laugh!  This could be serious-- we live in Nevada where 'street walking' is not legal, but brothels are. 

We were just handing out our wares. 


We just stood outside my office and tried to get people's attention and gave them books.  Like I said--they were not sure what we were up to. We confused them--book? For Free? 


We had so much fun!
(fun for me too, to show off these 2 great friends of mine, since they were not around during the making of the original cookbook and have no entries at all)
We even got into the newspaper! With an article written up and everything.


City Councilmen stopped for books!



And  random travelers!



And radio DJ's

They are just the cutest!  And bestest book giver-awayers ever.



Yep, it's Nevada, there'll be a discount Liquor store in every town you visit. 


See?  They are good street walkers!  They'd make good carnival barkers too--Get your books!  Come and get it! I got what you need!  I can hear them now.


And Gloria, who cuts my hair, even stopped to get a book!  (she's going to be so excited to be in here.)


And that is the story of WORLD BOOK NIGHT #1.
WORLD BOOK NIGHT Year 2 and 3 will be presented at a later date.  My peeps changed, but the fun was still the same.

Now go and buy some fresh greens and make yourself some celery seed dressing--you'll be glad you did.

This is recipe #220 only 147 left to go!

No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...