Monday, December 30, 2019

Friday Friend-ripe #242 - Roquefort cheese ball


My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #242
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)

My Mom's Roquefort Cheese Ball

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....

...and the rest is cookbook history!

Just remember, the countdown is not all about pretty food and food design---it's about the people and the stories.
And (the most important thing)  proving my husband wrong--and that I can and WILL make every recipe in this cookbook!


I had to special order some Roquefort cheese.
 Some people think it's the same as any old Blue Cheese, but it's not.


Blue cheese is a type of cheese, whereas Roquefort is a sheep’s milk blue cheese made in a specific way from Occitan, France and Gorgonzola is a cow’s milk blue cheese made in a specific way from Milan, Italy. So Roquefort is a blue cheese but not all blue cheese is Roquefort.

Now that that is settled--this is really a good cheese ball--IF you like stinky cheese.  It's really a strong cheese.
My mom always made 3 cheese balls to have on hand during the holidays.  This one and then her Pineapple cheeseball and her Blue cheeseball.  All are different and all are good.
For me, it's kind of like trying to choose between my children as to which one I like best.  And as with my  children, some I like more one day, and then the next day I'll like a different one best--but love them all.
Here is a link to her other cheeseballs. Just click here.


December for me is  a memory of food and family and more food and cold and snow and baking cookies and friends and clinking cocktail glasses and laughter and hot buttered rum and food, food, food!

There is something almost sacred about sharing a meal together--and that's a term I use in it's most generic sense, as  the word sacred and our dinner party conversations don't go hand in  hand. (remember in one of my past stories I told you my dad almost choked on a turnip in the stew when I asked, at the dinner table, what oral sex was?  I was 12--what did I know? Apparently I didn't know what was proper dinner table conversation

I don't know if it's as sacred in this day and age (I am long, LONG past 12 now) as it was when I was a kid.  You remember---back in my day everyone sat down every night to dinner together, etc. etc. etc.  BUT even tho we all don't sit down together every night, don't you feel that when it happens--whomever you are with at the dinner table--something magical takes place? Talking and laughter and sense of something big!?  (Like big, BIG questions about the birds and bees from your kids!)
Food and friends and family--there is something there that brings people together.

My mother was an expert at it--bringing people together over food  We always had people over for dinner  all year long, but  during December if anyone just stopped by, she would feed them at a moment's notice. 
She would whip out her cheeseballs and spiced nuts and homemade Chex-mix and pecan surprise bars and carrot pudding, lemon bread, brown lizzies and tons more --no one ever left hungry.

I guess I was so entranced by the  conversation that took place while eating with company,  it felt sacred  to me.
And those are all the feelings I feel when I have a dinner party or get together--it's nostalgic to me.  It's fun!
My  resolution for 2020 is to be more hospitable.
At a moment's notice!




It really is a great cheeseball!
Last New Year's Eve (that's how long things stay in my drafts--I bet if I was more on the ball, this cookbook countdown could be done!  Maybe that should be my New Year's resolution?)
Last New  Year's Eve we had a little get together and made the cheeseball.
But I have included a picture of my mother (and father) in the summer--at the cabin.


Believe it or not...she was entertaining even then!
She probably didn't have a cheeseball to offer tho---those were December fare. 
I'm sure she had a drink called "sex on the beach" or something---because, you know, we are prone to interesting dinner conversation. 




My friends I bring to you recipes #242

Only 125 left to go!






1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

You're making great progress! We love strong cheeses like that so I'm sure we'd love that cheeseball.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...