Friday, May 1, 2015

Designated Daughters

From Goodreads:
 When Judge Deborah Knott is summoned to her ailing Aunt Rachel's bedside, she assumes the worst. Thankfully when she arrives at the hospice center she learns that Rachel hasn't passed; in fact, the dying woman is awake. Surrounded by her children, her extended family, and what seems like half of Colleton County, a semi-conscious Rachel breaks weeks of pained silence with snippets of stories as randomly pieced together as a well-worn patchwork quilt. But the Knott family's joy quickly gives way to shock: less than an hour later, Aunt Rachel is found dead in her bed, smothered with a pillow.

Who would kill a woman on her deathbed? Was it an act of mercy, or murder? As Deborah and her husband, Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, investigate they cross paths with an unlikely set of suspects: Rachel's longtime minister; her neighbor, the respected local doctor; the friendly single father who often sought her advice; and perhaps the most puzzling party of all, the Designated Daughters, a support group for caregivers that Rachel's own daughter belongs to.

Soon Deborah and Dwight realize that the key to solving this case is hidden in Rachel's mysterious final words. Her mixed-up memories harbored a dark secret-a secret that someone close to them is determined to bury forever.
 
 
From me:
4 stars!
I love Margaret Maron!
Reading this book (the 19th in the Deborah Knott Mystery series) is like going to a family reunion for me. I love all the characters that much!
I love North Carolina that much!
 
I'm not ever sure what the story was about -- I'm more concerned with the characters and how they're doing.
Funny, but true.  (kind of)
 
I have never been to North Carolina, nor do I have 11 older brothers, but Maron makes me feel like I have.
She writes a lovely cozy mystery.
And cozies for me, have to have some substance and be 'smart'... Maron's books are.
If you like a good cozy mystery, this series is one of the best! But be sure to start with the first, "Bootlegger's Daughter". 

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've only read one book from this series but I really liked it.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...