Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Splendour Falls

From Goodreads:
 1205 - the town of Chinon is besieged by enemies of King John, and his young Queen calls upon a trusted servant to conceal her treasured jewels.

Emily Braden is intrigued by the medieval story of Queen Isabelle, and cannot resist when her cousin Harry, a historian, suggests a trip to the white-walled town of Chinon, nestling in France's Loire Valley. But when Harry vanishes and Emily begins to search for him, she stumbles across another intriguing mystery -- a second Isabelle, a chambermaid during the Second World War, who had her own tragedy, and her own treasure to hide.

As Emily explores the ancient town of labyrinthine tunnels, old enmities, and new loves, she finds herself drawn ever closer to the mysterious Isabelles and their long-kept secrets.

From Me:
3.9 stars
 
To be honest, this isn't my usual kind of book, but I really enjoyed it.
A little bit of mystery, a little bit of suspense and a little bit of romance.
A beautiful setting- Chinon, France, and some very interesting characters.
I listened to this on audio and the narrator, Barbara Rosenblat,  did the best job of voicing many different characters, that I have ever heard.
She was amazing. 

I found it interesting that some reviews, by people who love Kearsley's books, were not that favorable to this particular one, which makes me think there are some more good books in store for me--if this was her worst one.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I generally don't like reading about that time period.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...