Saturday, May 23, 2015

Seven-Layer Salad--Friday Friend Recipe #52



Friday Friend Recipe #52:  Seven Layer Salad

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county).  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #52

Barb's
7-layer Salad


I think most everyone has a variation of this salad.  I know I do, and mine is made a little bit different, but this one is every bit as good!
I love the parm cheese in the variation.  I've had it with Swiss and Cheddar, but the Parmesan Cheese in Barb's was really tasty.
Give this one a try!

Seven Layer  Salad
Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ

Layer in a bowl in the following order:
1 head lettuce--bit sized pieces
1/4 cup (or more) sliced celery
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 10oz pkg frozen peas
1 pint real mayo
3 T sugar, sprinkled (optional)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
7+ slices bacon (fried and crumbled)

Let sit in fridge 4 hours or overnight.
Toll all together before serving.
 

 No need for me to say "let me introduce you to...."
because Barb has a lot of recipes in the Friday Friend Cookbook and you have met her before-- 10 times!  (click to see all of her recipes)

And I  am fast running out of pictures AND funny antidotes about her.
Ones that I can share, anyway

My oldest son got married 8 years ago  (9?) and at the rehearsal dinner (which was a pizza party at my son's house),  Barb and I showed up in matching colored shirts.
My sister-in-law, Sylvia did a variation on that color.
We were the cool kids that night.
The ones who called and said "what are you wearing tomorrow?"
"Let's NOT tell anyone else!!"

Everyone else showed up in blue or green or ???
We stood out.


 Barb with the Handyman!
And my soon-to-be daughter-in-law, Mara.
See?  No peach/coral tops for them!


Anybody who reads this has a vague recollection of how the Friday Friends started and what we were all about.
(The blog is all mine, I just named in it honor of these friends)

I used to ask questions and we would answer back and forth about all kinds of things-- a forum, if you will.
It was fun.
We had a good run of about  12 years, and then, well, life happened.

That and they found out I kept all the correspondence and are now refusing, REFUSING, to answer any more on the grounds that it might incriminate them.
sheesh. No sense of humor these guys!

Anyway, I found an answer of Barbs from 2004.
What was the question?
Well, we were talking about deep frying.  And oil.

 
I cut a bit off, but  I think you get the drift?

Didn't all of our mother's/grandmother's use bacon grease,  deep fry oil well past the time they should have?
It gives me the shivers!
BUT---their cooking sure was good.
And, no... none of us died.
******************

Barb's complete answer:
Growing up, we had a deep fat fryer.  It was used mostly for doughnuts and french fries, but on occasion for fish and other stuff.  We used the oil over and over, as my mom said that when we used it to do the french fries, that is "purified" it, making it okay to re-use.  Who am I to challenge my mom??  We never got sick and didn't die.  I still have it, but can't even remember the last time it was used.  Maybe 19 years ago when I made homemade maple bars?? Whoa----maybe I'd better check and make sure the grease isn't in there anymore!!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Everyone I know loves 7 layer salads except me because I don't like mayonnaise!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...