Friday, September 26, 2008

Comfort food

A GOOD MISTAKE

It was a late Saturday afternoon. The fall sun was casting an orange glow thru the trees in the backyard. College football was on the TV. We missed our kids. We needed comfort food.

Now you understand why I would have never made it as novelist.... LOL

But we really did want something good to fill our tummies, so I thought of "Southern Plate's" steak and gravy. ( http://www.southernplate.com/2008/09/southern-steak-and-milk-gravy.html ) (you'll find the recipe at the bottom of this post )
 And...mmmmm..."Adventure of Kitchen Girl's" oven roasted brussel sprouts ( http://kitchengirljo.blogspot.com/2008/09/oven-roasted-brussles-sprouts.html ).
So I decided to make them.
Now... I must confess, that I put the brussel sprouts in the oven, started the steak and then got a phone call. It was the brussel sprouts who suffered. You might look at these and say "poor little cremated sprouts", but before you do...let me tell you, they were really good. crispy and a bit crunch and...well, really good. I must also confess that I didn't prepare as many as the recipe said...just my husband and I, so I was downsizing, but didn't downsize the cooking time.
My husband pulled off the outer layer and proclaimed them "really good" also.
But I didn't get a picture of those.
For a REALLY GOOD idea of what they look like please visit Jo's blog.
She is the Brussel Sprout master.

I'm thinking of having the same exact meal on Sunday!

The Steak....oh the steak and gravy. mmmmm.....good. So easy, so tasty, so....comforting. We really liked it. And I made enough so that we had leftover the very next night. (hard to cook for just two without leftovers, you know)
Christy, over at "Southern Plate" made this a couple of weeks ago, and I had to try it.... I have to tell ya...it was a HUGE HIT at my house.
Check our her blog w/recipes at... http://www.southernplate.com/

I'm not going to put the recipes here in my post, I'll let you check out the originals on the original blogs. But I do have to say that I love those two blogs, and if you ever need a good meal idea...seek them out.

and again...forgive the charred brussel sprouts, but they were actually good. Or, I'm weird. Could be. But check out Jo's, as they were great! :~) http://kitchengirljo.blogspot.com/

Looking good before going into the oven....and then for some reason I hid all the gravy "under" the steak.





Southern Steak and Milk Gravy
Ingredients
  • 4 Pieces Cubed Steak
  • Flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Milk
Instructions
  1. Place enough oil in a pan to just coat the bottom, put that on medium heat while you prepare your steak. In a bowl, place 1 C flour and add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/ 4 tsp pepper (more if you prefer). Stir that up. Dip each piece of steak into flour on both sides to get it coated well. Place each piece of steak in pan and cook until good and browned on both sides. Remove steak to a plate while you make your gravy.
  2. Place about 1/4 C flour into skillet with meat drippings. Add a little more salt and pepper and stir this over medium heat until the flour is slightly browned (just a few minutes). Slowly pour in 1 1/2 Cups of milk, stirring constantly. Continue stirring, with a wire whisk to help with lumps, over low heat until thickened and there are no lumps. This will happen rather quickly. Add a little more milk if you prefer thinner gravy. Return steak to the pan and turn to coat with gravy on both sides.
  3. Serve steak and gravy together in a bowl or serve gravy on the side to go with Mashed potatoes.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Oh, don't we all make those kind of mistakes!! I just did it myself yesterday only I was toasting walnuts in the oven. They didn't burn but got too brown and I had to toss them. Thankfully it was only 1/2 cup and I still had a whole bag of them. You were lucky to be able to still eat your mistake! Grumpy and Chris would LOVE to have your steak and gravy dish. Chris was just telling me yesterday it was time to make the Country Fried Steak again when he came across the photo on Tastespotting! LOL. Gotta love that kid, he's one after my own heart!

sj said...

Oh sweetie... goodness knows I've done the same thing. And personally, I like them a little more done that I usual do them to feed others. The crispy brown bits are the best! :) I am so glad you liked them and thank you so much for the kind words and shout out!

sj said...

http://kitchengirljo.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-got-my-first-award.html

hey sweet lady... A friend of yours happened to come visit me and I think you should read her comment on the page I listed ^ up there ;)

Just sayin' :D

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...