Friday, July 9, 2010

Book Beginning and Flashbacks

This is the first time I've ever participated in "Book Beginnings on Friday" hosted by Becky at Page Turners.

 I'm excited because I've never thought about how a "first line" can really pull you into a book. That is not always the case, as some books with not so great first lines (or first chapters) can be really great books, but if you have a line that hooks you at first...well, what a great bonus. It's fun to check them all out.



Anyone can play participate, just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why do you, or do not, like the sentence.

"I clasp the flask between my hands, even tho the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air."

Catching Fire, the second book of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

In my humble opinion....it's not as catchy as it could be, but the book is GREAT. It's the second book in the series, so it's almost like the beginning of a new paragraph, because you already know the back-story, so maybe sequels are the best example of how great an opening line can be.

************************************

Flashback Friday hosted by Lovely Little Shelf

Flashback Friday is a chance to showcase books that you loved as a kid or teenager.

Every Friday we’ll post about the books that we loved. Do this however you want. You can outline the plot as you remember it, tell why you remember this particular book, talk about how it is still affecting you, whatever you want. This part is totally up to you.


The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Stephen Gammell, is my "flashback" of the week. The book tells of an old-fashioned family reunion where relatives came from far across the mountains. They pile into and around the house with love and exuberance. Gammell's illustrations are so full of humor and distinctive characters that it's hard to get around to reading the delightful text.


Why did I choose it? Because of all my little grandchildren. There is one line in there, that goes something like this: when all the relatives came there was hugging and kissing all around (or something like that) and I just can see all my grandchildren either getting excited, confused, obliging, or suspicious (depending on their age ) of all the hugging and kissing,  when we see them. We have 9 grandchildren ranging in age from 10months to 13 years.


I just think it's funny... I love this book. I loved it when I was an elementary school library"aide". Who knew that once I had grandchildren of my own that I would "flashback" to it. I remind myself of this book...kind of. With all the excitement of seeing those children whom I love more than anything in the world. There is just something so comforting about knowing that all your weird relatives love you and are there for you, time after time after time. What a great thing to learn thru a book, while you sit on your grandma's lap.


I just ordered the book, to have at my house so we can all read it together.
The Relatives Came is a Caldecott Honor Book, an ALA Notable Children's Book and on Booklist Best of 80's list. I think all things considered, a person should have this book in their library.


Tomorrow I will have a food post. FOOD, FOOD, FOOD. I have a couple good things in mind.

1 comment:

Rebecca Chapman said...

My computer is mucking up so I don't know if you got that last message. Feel free to delete if you get this twice!

Thanks for joing BBOF! I am a first line Nazu, its the first thing I do when I pick up a book, check the opening line, its really important to me.

I do like this one, if only because I can identify with it. I am a big tea drinker, but I often make a cup of tea and then forget about it and come back to it when it has lost its warmth, its jsut not the same!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...