Sunday, July 11, 2010

IHCC Bacon Wrapped Dates

I am taking the easy way out...again. But, the nice thing about Mark Bittman's recipes is that even the easiest of them can be very sophisticated. Like these appetizers. Dates wrapped with bacon.





My family ran from the thought of them....all but the Handyman, he braved it out and he like them. I do a bacon wrapped water chestnut that he HATES, so he was quite happy with this surprisingly sweet and savory bite. I added a bit of parmesan, stuffed inside the date (suggested by Mark Bittman as an option in the recipe) and I liked them that way the best.


Don't be afraid of the date. I know some people are, but they're wonderful. Just give it a try. These apps were a bit chewy, like a bacon flavored candy, but oh so good.


This week's IHCC's theme was "Better with Bacon" and I couldn't agree more. Everyone loves bacon. I have an cookbook called "Beat This" by Ann Hodgman, and she says to make savory dishes better just add bacon and they'll be a winner. (She also says to add cinnamon to sweet dishes for the same result). I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm, but just goes to show how much people LOVE BACON.

I've wanted to try this appetizer for quite some time, so this was the perfect opportunity. On page 88 from Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" (which I'm also going to use as part of my own cookbook countdown  ), is this recipe titled "Suzanne Goin's Bacon Wrapped Dates".



3 ingredients. Bacon, Dates and Parmesan cheese. Snap! You're done. Invite your friends over for wine and some appetizers and sit and enjoy the nice summer evening!
 

Suzanne Goin's bacon wrapped dates

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
24 pitted dates
12 slices bacon
Parmesan cheese (a wedge from the cheese counter, not anything from a green can for heaven's sake)


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put a few thyme leaves in the cavity of each date. Cut the bacon in half lengthwise. Stuff a chunk of Parmesan into each date. Roll each date in a piece of bacon and secure it with a toothpick or two. Put the dates on a baking sheet and roast, turning once or twice until the bacon is crisp and cooked, 20- 25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the bacon. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot. (or wrap and refrigerate for up to three days or freeze).





PS maybe I can win a prize for the most weeks at IHCC with fewer than 5 ingredients.

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm intrigued with the thought of Parmesan cheese and dates together, so I'll have to try these,

Deb in Hawaii said...

Simple is good--as is bacon. ;-) These look delicious--I love the parmesan inside for an extra bite of flavor. Great pick for bacon week!

Kim said...

Anything that tastes like bacon candy is good in my book;-)
This is the perfect treat to just pop in your mouth! Bet it's hard to eat just one.

Julie said...

Wow, sounds so good with the parmesan in the middle :)

Kristen said...

I completely agree that bacon can save any dish from mediocrity. I love the addition of Parmesan to these sweet/salty little bundles of yumminess. They look and sound great!

Pam said...

I've never heard of this and must try it! I can only imagine how delicious the combo of ingredients must be. Thanks for the recipe!!!

Karen said...

I've always wanted to try these. I love dates- and bacon - and parm... WHY haven't I made them yet???

Heather S-G said...

love Parm, Love Dates, LOVE Bacon...L.O.V.E. THESE!! Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Like in this case ;) Gorgeous...although, I love bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, too...

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...