Thursday, January 16, 2014

Doctor Sleep

On Tuesday night, my little library book club met...at the library, of course... and we discussed "Doctor Sleep" by  Stephen King.

I loved it.  I love his character development and his  'good vs evil' themes.

In this little book group,  most of the ladies are over 60  (not all , but most),  2 are sisters, 2 are retired teachers, 2 of them never like any book we read,  and only 2 of us like  Stephen King.  One of the sisters mentioned, when I said I love King's character development and his descriptions, that she thinks he repeats himself again and again and again.  She said she read the first 1/4 of the book, skipped to the last 1/4 of the book and she still knew what happened.

Is that true of Stephen King?  Does he drag on?



I don't think so---I think it's all very important.   
The book also bothered some in the group--when King describes torture, which I thought was not overly bad, it was really only  2/3 of one page.  It was important to the story, I felt.

In this book club, we keep a notebook where we  make note of important comments and then, after the discussion, we each have to  "recommend"  "recommend with reservations"  or "not recommend" the book for that month.
Even for the 2 of us who LOVE Stephen King, we recommended with reservations.   Those reservations were that  "people who love Stephen King, LOVE Stephen King,  those who don't won't like the book".
I also have a reservation about how much he uses sex in his books. Sometimes it seems a little over the top.
I just pretend he is speaking Russian when it gets too much for me and move on... because when all is said and done, I do love Stephen King.

This is a photo of my little Library Book club.  



1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've only read 1 Stephen King book - 11/22/63 - and he was long winded in it but I still loved it. I thought the sex in it was subtle and well done. Carl read the book after I did and "pound cake" has become our little inside joke.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...