Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #88 -- Broccoli Salad (number one)




Friday Friend Recipe #88: Broccoli Salad (#1)
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.
 
AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
 
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.
 
Which brings me to this... recipe #88
 
My 
Broccoli Salad



Everybody has a  version of this broccoli salad.
I know, because there are 5 of them in this cookbook!
You can always find it in a deli case too. At least in the deli's around here.
I have made it for a holiday dinner as well as a backyard bbq (as  you can see above---in the same exact photo I posted for the Korean Chicken)
For the holidays I might switch out the raisins for cranberries. 




Broccoli Salad
by me

2 lbs fresh broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
1 bunch sliced green onions
1/2  of a 15oz box of raisins
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
8 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
1 cup mayo
1 T. cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl.
Combine next 3, mixing well.
Toss all together and chill for 2 hours or overnight.





Now this is the part I hate.....when it comes to me...the choosing of the photo.
I don't hate it when I am counting down my Friday Friends and putting up a photo of them, but you do know it's really hard to do for yourself, right?
I don't love photos of myself-- and yet, I post a lot of me when I am with my Friday Friends, writing their stories!   
They've taken all the decent photos of me!

I am going to post this 'non' decent picture of the Handyman and myself and two of our grandchildren.  We happened to be visiting them in Arizona over Halloween in October.  It's a bit blurry, but it's one of the few with me in it.  I am usually the picture taker.   
But, heck 'blurry' makes me look younger!!


The Handyman, me, a bumblebee and Luigi.

The history of the Friday Friend, has been me asking them questions--like a topic of the day.  I haven't done this for about 5 years now (everything runs its course), but today, I decided to ask them for a funny story of me.  I figure I can compile them to use for my future recipes.
I will go in order.
Jolina wrote me back:
Your story about not being able to go to lunch is pretty good.

I don't know why they laugh at me!  
I am just not a spur of the moment person.
If someone asks me to lunch today for TODAY, I have a difficult time of it. 
It is not on my list.
I live by a list.
My list (even if it's in my head)  --home for lunch, peanut butter sandwich and READ MY BOOK.
I have a very difficult time of it, when someone disturbs my "reading" time.
(troubles only fellow bookworms understand).

I LOVE MY FRIENDS.
I LOVE lunch.
I just need you to invite me for tomorrow.  That way I can put it on my list and LOOK FORWARD to it.

Okay, I have been known to say  "no thank you, I can't today",  and then hang up the phone and think about it---process it---and call them back and accept if they are still willing.
(this is a true story!!)


Thank you Jolina for making me describe how anal I am.

That's my story!

And Friday Friend Recipe #88!

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

I find w/smartphones, the photographer should wait a second or two before moving the phone as often pictures come out blurry. This broccoli salad is interesting. I haven't had that before Will try one day. Mele Kalikimaka to you and your ohana.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...