Monday, December 7, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #87 -- Korean Chicken

 
 
 
 
 
Friday Friend Recipe #87: Korean Chicken
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.
 
AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
 
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.
 
Which brings me to this... recipe #87
 
My Mom's
Korean Chicken
 
 
 
 
It might looked burnt.  But it's not burnt.  It's just highly crispy.
(I was trusting the Handyman with the grill/recipe.)
It tastes great tho.  It's a great marinade that my mom used the whole time we were growing up.
That's what this recipe is---just a marinade.
When I was little my mom and the neighbor would share the marinade.
This was in the 1960's/70's before we knew much about food borne illness, etc.
My mom would make the marinade and the chicken would have to sit for 24 hours in it.  So, she'd call the neighbor Joyce in the morning and say "I'm making Korean Chicken tonight if you want to come get the marinade when I'm done.  "  And after supper, Joyce would come get the big Tupperware container of marinade and take it home and use it. 
Vica-Versa when Joyce made it.
It's a wonder we're still alive.  I mean with that and the old coffee can full of bacon grease at my grandma's house! 
 

 
Korean Chicken
4 lbs chicken cut up into pieces
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. oil
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. hot sauce (like Tabasco)
Dash--garlic salt, onion salt and accent

Combine all the marinade ingredients and add the chicken. Marinate for at least 4 hours, or even overnight. Bake, uncovered at 325 for 1 1/2 hours
 
 


My mom usually baked the chicken in the oven and it would look like this:
(there was no skin on this. AND there is white rice there, you just can't see it on the white plate)
 
 
 
I made and blogged about this recipe in Sept. 2008.
 
The funny thing is--I said I was going to make every recipe in the FF cookbook way back then:
It's only a marinade really, but when I was young it was always the "dish", the "dinner" (or supper, depending on where you're from) and we all came running when my mom was making it.... just smelling it cooking now brings back all kinds of great memories.
And it's the simplist thing in the world.
For some reason, we never had the marinade on any other type of meat. Chicken was it. It was "Korean Chicken", never chicken with the Korean (which I'm sure it isn't) marinade.
To be honest, I haven't made this in years, but I plan on making every recipe in the "Friday Friend" cookbook, and my mom sent this one in and when I saw it, it brought me back to my childhood... which was oh so long ago.
This dish is pretty much a 'comfort food' for me. We always had it with steaming hot white rice and fresh peas, which is what you see me doing here.
 
TOO FUNNY!  I gave up on the white rice and peas I guess.
Here is a photo of me and the Handyman and my mom and dad---not at a Korean restaurant, but a Chinese restaurant about 10 years ago.
It's my favorite Chinese restaurant in the whole world -- it still has the big red velvet booths, as it did when I was a kid.




That will be my mom's story for this time.
Sharing marinade for chicken!
This will be her 12th appearance in the Friday Friend Countdown, you can see all twelve of her recipes here.
 
 
I had a backyard bbq in Sept and invited a few friends over.
It was a Friday Friend Cookbook menu.
Sausage Stars
Korean Chicken
Broccoli Salad
and other non-FF cookbook stuff like fruit and asparagus.
I LOVE that they are willing to be my Guinea Pigs!
Thanks friends!!

 
I make them eat out in the middle of the yard.
I just like to.
 
 
 
And that is number 87!

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Too funny! I can't imagine anyone reusing marinade like that these days.

Katherine P said...

Oh how I love this post! The story of The Friday Friends is so wonderful. What fun to have a group like that. And the part about you showing your husband by making every recipe had me laughing. That's so something I would do! This Korean Chicken sounds absolutely amazing. This was not a good post to read before lunch after not eating breakfast! I'm pinning this to try this marinade out though I won't be sharing the marinade with anyone!

Karen said...

That sounds like a really good marinade... going to give it a try :)

Stefanie said...

It looks good. I made bulgogi a lot here, especially after a Costoco run. I freeze steaks, take one out for two to three hours to thinly slice it and place them in a bowl. In the bowl I usually pour 1/2 c of soy sauce, some sesame oil - at least a tbsp, and a 1/2 c of brown sugar. I let the steak marinate for at least an hour or more; overnight is best. Then heating up a wok with coconut oil on high heat, I pick out the slices and sauteed them around until they're cooked, take them out, and pour the rest of the marinade in and let it boil for a good five minutes. That's a saucey sauce for our rice as my husband likes it dirty.
If you want to make bibimbap which is mixed rice, then heat up the wok on high with coconut oil, and sautee each group of vegetables (spinach, mushrooms, matchstick carrots) before getting to the meat.

Sally said...

This looks like a keeper. Will try it with tofu too!

Tina said...

Oh yeah, I am on board for this meal. This looks so good! You have so much fun with your Friday Friends, they sound like good people.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...