Monday, August 15, 2016

Friday Friend Recipe #100 -- Chinese Chicken Wings




Recipe number 100

Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook
What is it, you may ask?

In a nutshell...
About 15 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?


Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!


Which brings me to recipe #100  Barb's Chinese Chicken Wings




I made the chicken wings along with the dried beef log and tapenade one evening in October!
Yes---I've had this in my drafts for a long, long time.
I have about 16 more in my drafts--a lot of time to make up for.

All were Friday Friend Cookbook recipes, and all were very good.

Chinese Chicken Wings
FF Barbara Brown, Buckeye AZ

4 lb chicken wings (cut at joints--discard tips)
1 cup brown sugar
1 T dry mustard
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup water

Brown in fry pan about 10 minutes. Arrange in baking dish. Combine other ingredients & heat to dissolve.  Let cool.  Pour over wings.  Marinate at least 2 hours--but best to leave overnight. 
Take out of marinade and bake at 275 for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.

Everyone loves chicken wings.  It's really a 'go-to' appetizer to take somewhere... and these are especially good ones!





And now, I will introduce you to Barb (for the 25th time )

Wherever Barb is, she joins in.  It's just who she is.
So, years ago when she came to visit one spring, I was committed  to working the betting booths at the local Mule Races.
So Barb helped. 
It's para-mutual betting--whatever that is---just like horse racing.   They give us a short training beforehand, but it's not hard,
(What's hard is that horse betting lingo that true horse racing gamblers use.  Sometimes you have to be fast because they wait till the last minute and their bets have to be in before the race starts.  Once it starts, the machines shut down automatically. No more bets.)

Here is a photo of me, Mitzi and Barb, working the horse/mule races.
If you recall, I don't care about picture quality---only the friendships.  It's a photo of a photo.


Now, while Barb was hard at work attending to those who wanted to place a bet before the race began, Mitzi (see her FF recipes here), Shelly ( see her FF recipes here)and Gina ( she didn't turn in many, so we have yet to meet her in the cookbook countdown, but she is in many posts: bird nerd, cooking club etc  See here) were doing the official "Friday Friend"  secret hand signal.
I just made that up, but---  but truly, you might need to know this someday if you are in need of a secret society sign!

First you lick your thumb.


Then you sizzle it on your palm!
(again--Barb is attending to a hard core gambler.  She's always had a good work ethic)


 And then you 'seal' it with your fist!

Barb obviously DOES NOT know the secret handshake/sign!


 Here's to my great friend Barbara Brown.
Always ready to lend a hand---just not the secret handshake hand!

For a complete look at the Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown

#reallywillfinishthisoneday 

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Okay, I'm funny about food and don't like to eat anything with my hands so that leaves out wings for me.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...