Sunday, October 9, 2016

Friday Friend Recipe #104--Just a Dessert




Recipe number 104


Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!

What is it, you may ask?


In a nutshell...
About 16 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?


Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!


Which brings me to recipe #104  My Just a Dessert




The pictures aren't great, but the dessert is.
A shortbread, buttery crust, pudding and cream cheese filling with a whipped cream frosting.
Try it, you'll like it.

Just a Dessert

Mix and pat into a 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix together:
8oz cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
Blend in:
2 cups cool whip
Pour over crust.

Beat til thick and pour over:
2 sm boxes any instant pudding
2 1/2 cups milk

Frost with cool whip and sprinkle with chopped nuts.




As you can see, this is the 104th recipe I'm writing about.  Pictures and stories are getting hard to come by---especially when they are of me.  Put on the spot, I can't think of anything I haven't told about myself.  And pictures?  I don't really take many of myself,   (you can see all of my previous recipe posts here.  ) so I was digging deep.

I thought perhaps a picture of myself with a book--I like to read...passionately like to read.
I am the definition of a book worm.
And I thought I'd share a couple pictures of me with books.
Or maybe I could think of a story about my first elementary school librarian or my first book fair--- it was Highlands Middle School 1973ish.
Which got me to thinking of the friends I had back then, which led me to this Facebook post from just the other day:



One of my old jr/high-high school friends, Tami, shared this picture and  wrote this:
didn't we make something like this for our home economics class?

And then of course, everybody who I haven't seen in a gazillion years commented.
I said: We could make them and have a Home Ec reunion---wasn't Mrs. Hughes at Highlands Jr. High? (or middle school)

and everyone seemed to think that would be fun.
But in lieu of us making the smocks again  -- I don't own a sewing machine -- I  dug really deep and found a few photos from Jr. high and our freshman  year of high school, 40+ years ago.

We were the Scotties of Highlands Middle School.
All of us were in 7th and 8th grade Home-Ec together with Mrs. Hughes, who taught us to make a Baked Alaska.  I've never made one since, but I though it was the fanciest dessert I'd ever had.

When we were freshman at Kamiakin High School, Mrs. Hughes son Jack was on the Basketball team and since I am digging really deep, I got into the back of the closet and pulled out an old scrapbook.
It is full of newspaper clippings from  football and basketball games, dances and other highlights of high school life.
I found a couple of clippings that fit right into our theme today.
A newspaper clipping ... the year our basketball team was headed to the state play-offs.
Look at our decorated bus!  The Pep club did that--and of course my friends and I were in the Pep Club!  We knew school spirit!
Mrs. Hughes son Jack is right there on the left hand side.
You can tell by his name on his very inappropriate head band, that we made for all the players.  We were the 'braves'.


And then another clipping with Jack Hughes in it...on the left.
The basketball coach, in the middle was Coach Dolvin.  I had a huge crush on him.  He taught history and I love history to this day.



This is the most hysterical thing in the scrapbook  tho...   a ditto sheet with short cheers we were supposed to shout out when the coach introduced the team.
I am assuming this was for a Pep Assembly.
But we  were so creative--- it was 1974
Jack Hughes--fly to state with Hughes??
and Pat Smith?  He can do it, he's no Jones??
WTH?!




Ahhh Mrs. Hughes with your smocks and baked Alaska and son who played basketball.... you taught us all about ric-rac and baking powder biscuits and how to rip out a seam.
We are forever in your debt.
Or maybe not---since I don't sew a thing now, BUT I do cook a great deal, so perhaps Mrs. Hughes did influence me--smocks not included.

On to some Jr High and Freshman photos!!
circa 1972-1974

Pep Club had it's own Rooter Bus!




I found this picture of Sherry and I---must be the first recorded selfie ever!  Or I took a picture in a mirror. I can't remember.
It was my only ski trip ever.








 New haircuts!  We all went from the long straight look to a shorter do.




Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor.







 And a group party shot---where or why I do not know.



40 year old pictures!
Some of my Jr High friends I am facebook friends with today, some I am pen-pals with, some I see when I go "home",  a couple have passed away.
We were babies back then --- Life has been good and hard and beautiful and sad and fun.
As is everyone's life.

I'm not sure what to say to end this--- friendship matters?
That sounds kind of political to me.  Saying anything matters might be controversial right now!  Oops.

Go make a dessert!
And read a book!

Or channel your 7th grade Home-Ec teacher and use some ric-rac soon!






2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

You did dig deep! I love all the old photos! By the way, I never made it far enough in home ec to make that smock/apron thing. All I ever made was a tote bag and it was a disaster.

Anonymous said...

What fun memories these are. Instead of Home Ec I took band which I only played until 8th grade.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...