Sunday, October 2, 2016

Sunday Soup! Chicken and Kielbasa Soup


October!  My favorite month of the year!  And by some miraculous weather pattern, it always gets a little cooler around here the moment I turn the calendar over.  I love it.

This is what I made for my Sunday Soup--- Chicken and Kielbasa Soup--- and it was so, SO good.
The description in the magazine says that there is something satisfying about that snap that comes when you bite into a chuck of Kielbasa,  and that its smoky flavor begs to be added to cold-weather dishes.

AGREED!
Co-signed!
I need to write nothing more, because I can't say it better than that.




If you make a salad and grab some French bread, this is a perfect light fall meal.  You should probably have some wine also--it kind of rounds out the meal.
Just sayin'

There was a time I didn't like wine.  Imagine that!?

I found this recipe in an old issue of Cuisine magazine, the winter 2013 'special publication'.   There are many good soups in here that I can't wait to try.


I really hope it's cooling down in your neck of the woods--because you really need a pot of simmer soup on your stove today.
Happy soup day!  Happy Sunday!



This soup is so easy!  
Don't be afraid--soups are really the easiest thing in the world.


Chicken and Kielbasa Soup

Brown: 
8 oz kielbasa, bias sliced
1 T olive oil

Add:
1 1/2 cups diced onions
1/2 cup EACH diced carrot and celery
1 T minced fresh garlic
1 T tomato paste

Deglaze:
1/4 cup dry white wine

Stir in:
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes in juice
1 can navy beans
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 dried bay leaf
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
Juice of 1/2 lemon
salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.

Brown kielbasa in oil in a pot over medium for 2-3 minutes; transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
Add onions, carrot, celery and garlic to pot; cover and sweat over medium-low heat until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally, 7-8 minutes. Remove lid, increase heat to medium-high, and stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute.
Deglaze pan with wine and simmer until nearly evaporated, 3 minutes.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, bean w/liquid, rosemary and bay leaf; simmer 10 minutes.
Add chicken and kielbasa; simmer 3 minutes.  Stir in lemon juice, season with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
Remove bay leaf and rosemary sprig before serving.




I am going to link up  with
Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen!
Souper Sundays is a weekly blog event that started because of her love of soup and a desire to work through the many soup and soup-like recipes in cookbooks and magazines, Deb set a goal to make a soup or "soupish" dish each week and post it each Sunday and invited others to do the same.







3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm bookmarking this post because that looks so yummy to me!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your soup looks perfect for a cool fall night for sure--flavorful and hearty. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

Anonymous said...

This sounds good. Can't beat a comfort soup recipe.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...