Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Friday Friend Recipe #209 - Sneaky Pete



Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!
What is it, you may ask?
In a nutshell...
About 19 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?
Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings me to recipe #209
Cherrie Lou Who's  Sneaky Pete Dinner




You might be wondering....how is Paella a "Sneaky Pete" dinner?
And you would be correct in wondering.
Cherrie Lou Who turned in this recipe....


And so I did exactly what she said.  I took my crockpot down from the cabinet.  I left my crockpot on the counter, 

(not my actual crockpot)


hoping/thinking that the Handyman would make something to put in it, but Nooooo! What he did was take me out to a  dinner of Paella.
My lovely neighbor Liz is dishing up the Paella, which was made in huge, HUGE Paella pans.
Have you ever eaten Paella?  It's so good!
This recipe is not about Paella tho---it's about Sneaky Pete--which the Handyman was.
He snuck out of the kitchen, so he didn't have to cook!


We enjoyed a nice Paella with chicken and shrimp and sausage.  It was a fundraiser for another friend who had some medical issues.  (I love living in a small town where everyone is a helper!)
The Paella was good, the company was good, the cause was good.
Sneaky Pete Dinner was a success! 

***********

One time for Thanksgiving, we went to Las Vegas. 
Don't judge. It wasn't traditional ---except for the nice Turkey dinner we had at Hooters  (yes, Hooters. They had the best Thanksgiving meal/prices in the town) -- but it was very fun and family came from near and far. Friends too! 
The Handyman's sisters from Washington, our son and his family and in-laws from Arizona, our good friends (and editor of the original Friday Friend Cookbook ) the Browns from Arizona.
We ate good food, gambled a bit, went to see Jersey Boys and more.
One afternoon while we were experiencing  the Freemont Street Experience (which is better experienced at night)  having some refreshment in a bar (aka beer/cocktails)  some dancin' music came on.  My little 2 year old granddaughter Cassie, felt the beat and wanted to dance--so her Great-Aunt Cherrie-Lou-Who got up and danced with her!



Cassie had a blast!




But that's not the story --  
this is the story --
of a man named Mikey.
Well, Cherrie Lou Who calls him Michael.
His friends call him Mike
but all of us relatives (and there is a lot of us) call him Mikey.
Mike is the nicest guy ever.  This is not a lie.  Ask anybody. He has the best personality of anyone on earth.  This too, is not a lie. He can visit and make small talk with anybody.


Anybody, that is, except for this guy.
Elmer Torres,  my daughter-in-law's father.




 A lot of the time in Vegas that Thanksgiving, we traveled in a group to dinner or met up somewhere along the strip to go to a show or have a drink.  Mikey was always so kind and nice to include Elmer in conversation.  Mikey is the guy who always puts people at ease in a crowd. He doesn't want anyone to feel left out.
On the last day of our trip,  Mike, having carried on an almost one-sided conversation with Elmer for 3 days,  says to the  Handyman, "Boy Elmer is really a quiet guy, isn't he?"
The Handyman looked at his brother-in-law and said, "Oh. Well, he doesn't speak English."
😊
Mike looked very surprised and said  "well crap (only it might not have been crap he said)  it would have been nice if someone would have told me!"

Here's to Mikey, the nicest guy ever and to Elmer Torres, the only man who Mikey couldn't engage in small talk with!




We all thought it was hysterical!
Elmer can hold his own tho--my son doesn't speak much Spanish and Elmer much English and yet it is Familia and it works.


This is recipe #209 only 158 left to go!







2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That's about how it would work in my house too. Congratulations to the Handyman!

Karen said...

Hahaha!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...