Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Friday Friend Recipe #213 -- Tom and Jerrys





Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!
What is it, you may ask?
In a nutshell...
About 19 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?
Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings me to recipe #213
My Cousin Linda's Tom and Jerry Mix
(which comes to her by way of my grandmother, Merle Hambelton)



Well finally I get a recipe in the right place!  What I mean is that I made this last Christmas time and here I am just finally posting about it.  Sometimes I have posted holiday recipes in the middle of the summer--it's just how it works out-- but finally I am in the theme of things!
(even tho, the picture doesn't portray it, because I took the photo last January--it is normally a staple during holidays)

This is a Tom and Jerry.
My paternal grandparents always had Tom and  Jerry's at Christmas time.


My maternal grandparents always had Hot Buttered Rums at Christmas time.

 I usually make Hot Buttered Rum mix because it's easier, but I love to drink them both.  I am not one to turn down Christmas Cheer of any kind---and something hot and warm? Mmmmm!
Last year I made both the HBrum and the T&J's ---we had lots of Christmas cheer around our house--- as I had a recipe in the countdown I needed to cross off my list!
 I was under the impression that the Tom and Jerry batter involved a lot of steps and  a lot of work. It wasn't nearly as hard as I had made it out to be, which makes me wonder why I waited so long to give this recipe a try.
As I mentioned, I love them both and now that I know it wasn't a huge endeavor, I'll be making Tom and Jerry's for the holidays from here on out.

The Hot Buttered Rum batter is on top and 
The Tom and Jerry batter is on the bottom.
You can see the difference in color due to brown sugar and butter vs whipping cream and eggs.



They are both rich and delicious and full of calories!
So, Soo, sooooo  full of calories.


I hope you can read this recipe.  It is the original one that my grandmother made.  I added some vanilla and some nutmeg and a touch of ground cloves to it.   I've also read where you can use 2 jars of marshmallow cream instead of the whipping cream. That might be worth a try sometime too.


My cousin Linda turned this recipe into the cookbook and usually this is where I write a story or tell a memory of the author of the recipe, BUT with more than 150 recipes to go, of which I'm sure Linda is going to be showing up more than once, I'm going to tell a short story about our Friday Night Friends --  John specifically, BECAUSE every year I give him Hot Buttered Rum batter in December and he loves it.  Last year I gave him both Hot Buttered Rum mix and Tom and Jerry Batter.  He too, loved them both!

One time last summer.....


Why are the Handyman and friends making faces? 
Because they thought they were getting some really good champagne.
Some Dom Perignon.

And.... um, you can tell by their faces.... it wasn't very good.

In fact, we didn't finish it.
But it was fun giving it a try!









It was given to my friend Robbie by a good friend of hers for their anniversary ---or birthday or something--whatever it was, it was a celebration!
This great vintage of 1995.....or is it 1985?
The bottle didn't match the box.
Maybe it was re-gifted?






Every Friday night we have dinner with our friends, The Miltons.  Unless one of us is busy of course.
We've known them for 30 years but  for the past 18 years we've been getting together on Friday nights for dinner.
Sometimes our kids join us, sometimes they don't.   This night at their house, their son Mike and his girl friend  Tami were there to help us taste the spoils.  ( spoils! Ha! That's almost not a joke!)

We always have a great time.
All we do is have dinner---sometimes we/they have even gone home before 9pm.
We just eat and have great discussions around a beautiful table.

The guys play cribbage before dinner and drink beer.  In December they play cribbage and drink Tom and Jerrys or Hot Buttered Rums!







This is recipe #213 only 154 left to go!


1 comment:

Shelby said...

I am going to make this Tom & Jerry! I am keto myself but can do this sugar-free. Love the photos, everyone looks like they were having a GREAT time!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...