Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Friday Friend Recipe #212 - Salami Rolls


My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #212
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)
Salami Rolls

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....

...and the rest is cookbook history!


This is embarrassing!  Besides the Jell-O, this might be the most embarrassing recipe I turned in. Because,  yes, this one is mine.
I have probably only made these 2 times in my whole life and yet, here we are in publication.  I jest, but here it is for the whole world to see.
Okay,  honestly---they're not very pretty, they are super easy to do, They probably won't make an appearance on every hor d'oeuvres table I set, but they are strangely--good.




Salami  Rolls

1 (8 ounce) packagecream cheese (softened)
18 slicessalami (thinly sliced)
18 slices
pepperoncini peppers (drained, or to taste)

spread each salami slice with cream cheese and roll up a pepperoncini inside. Secure with toothpick.  (perhaps slicing them in half lengthwise might give a better presentation) (also taking the stems off? LOL)  (I obviously was not at my best)





So. let me tell you about that time I saw a Marbled Godwit.
I DID! I REALLY DID!

My friend Mitzi said this was very exciting and that I was extremely lucky!

but seriously?  If you are a birder...look at that map...I was in Nevada, where the little yellow part is.  I REALLY WAS LUCKY to see the Marbled Godwit!  He was just migrating thru.


Before you go 'uh, big nerd' and close this blog, let me tell you;  you need to expand your horizons.  I did.  The Marbled Godwit appeared during  my first birding experience.  I had been a backyard birder for some time, but that year I went with my friends (who are experienced birders ) to the Spring Wings Festival in Fallon,  Nevada, as Mitzi is pointing out below.  And I had so much fun!!




It was the spring of 2011

We arrived on Friday at noon, for our 1st tour/class

Mitzi and me with our big cameras!


 Maris and Jolina with their 'little' cameras!

Some HOT CHICKS!
I mean, me,  Jolina and Mitzi---ready for a great birding weekend!



Friday afternoon:  Stillwater shore birds
Friday night:  Rapture Rapture
Saturday morning:  Wood ducks
Saturday afternoon: Birding Hot spots
Sunday morning:  Carson Lake
Sunday noon:  Release of the Golden Eagle ( a rescue bird)

Birding is fun!  And apparently funny!!  They even made a movie all about birding once--called, 'The Big Year' staring Steve Martin, Owen Wilson and Jack Black.
 All I know is that I had a good time.  (and I've had a good time ever since! I love birds!)    We went out to different areas in tour vans and saw all kinds of birds, had a presenter and there were a few presentations thru-out the day. I do have to laugh to myself tho, being a brand new birder, these kinds of conversations made me laugh...
"look over there, is it? "
"I think it is."
"Look, look.....awwww, ahhh, ohhhh, there, there,  a long billed curlew!!"

The Long Billed Curlew 
I was lucky enough to see this one too!  The Godwit was too far away for a good photo, but this guy? He was cooperative.

These were my birding friends that  year....


Mitzi is the teacher's pet---actually she could lead a class all on her own. She knows all the stuff.   We can be sitting on my patio enjoying a summer evening meal and she will hear a bird and say,  "that's the Red Winged Black Bird."    or she will see a bird in flight and say, "that's a Barn Swallow." She can identify birds by their song and their flight patterns. She is amazing!

Jolina is the studious note taker. She was writing down everything the tour guide said.  She was marking off every single bird we saw  (this is how I know we saw over 50 species---and I saw every single one of them too) and I am so glad that she was  keeping track!

Maris fed us and let us sleep in her house.  She and her husband were THE BEST HOSTS  ever.

This is my story....

About a Female Wood Duck. 
On Saturday morning, we went with the biologist to check up on what was happening with the water fowl. They keep stats on Wood Ducks.


We took her out of her box (Wood Ducks are cavity nesters, so they make wooden boxes for the ducks to nest in.  It's easier to study that way)


We checked the wing span.


And measured her.



And we weighed them.  By sticking them head first in a plastic pop bottle  (soda, coke, whatever you call it.  I call it pop.)
It's  just for a moment and she won't fly away while they weigh her.





And then you just throw her in the air. Which is what I'm doing  here.  I was nervous to just throw her, but she just took off flying....
....which left the young biologist to check her eggs....



to make sure the babies are alive and developing and to know when they will hatch.
Just FYI--the Wood Duck population was down that year.  They are not sure why.




I need to check up on those wood ducks and see how they've fared in the past 7 years.
This was so interesting!
We  had a birding weekend every year for 5 years and then life happens and while we've had separate birding experiences, we haven't had that special 'girls' weekend again.  We need to bring it back!
I'll make some salami rolls to much on! 



This is recipe #212 only 155 left to go!




No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...