Monday, May 30, 2011

It's Monday, What are You Reading?

We went up to Washington State over the Memorial  Day weekend.  (It's about an 8 hour drive for us---I read three books in the car) and as we were driving home today, I thought to myself that I would write up a post for "It's Monday" tonight and be ahead of the game and could post it first thing in the morning.  
And then it dawned on me....it WAS Monday.  Dang it.
So here I am, coming in last--again.

 It's Monday, What are You Reading
Hosted by Sheila of Book Journey,  is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between! D This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!





This past week, was a great week for me, in terms of reading.

On the way up to Washington:



Jane Austen Ruined My Life    by Beth Pattillo
This is a light 'chick-lit' book,  but it flowed well and was easy to read, and.....it the story kept my interest.









Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson           
This YA novel was an honor book f or the Michael L. Printz award for excellence in Young Adult Literature in 2000.
It is on the banned book list, so of course I had to read it.   
I thought Anderson did a good job describing how hard it is to be a teenager in high school.  How cliquish it can be and how if you have a problem, it's easy to feel all alone.
The subject matter deals with rape.  Maybe that's why it made the banned book list.   I'll probably buy it for all my teenage nieces.





The Virgin of Small Plains  By Nancy Pickard
I think I just found my new favorite mystery author!
















this past week, I also had to read for both of my bookclubs.
On Wednesday, for Totally Lit Book Club we read,  The Last Lecture by  Randy Pausch.  We thought it good and inspirational.  "I" thought he was a bit pompous, but you know...... what do I know.  You have to be a go-getter, pompous kind of guy  (he even said as much about himself in his book)  if you write "a Last Lecture" in the midst of terminal cancer.

The most fun thing happened at our Thursday night book club tho....
The Lit Wits.  The Lit Wits read  "Same Kind of different as Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore.  It was good, we all enjoyed it, but when we arrived we learned that one of our  "founders"  (for lace of a better word) was in the hospital having her baby!!   We had so much fun.   We ate, drank wine, discussed the book a bit, but mostly we visited, got regular hospital updates and just had a good girl time.
oh..and we didn't know if the baby was going to be a boy or a girl.  
A little girl, Harper, joined our book club at a few minutes before midnight, so how appropriate that she was on born on Book Club Night!
Of course, by that time we were all home in bed ---but with our cell phones handy to pass the news via a text message when she arrived.


The Lit Wits is also a "Dinner" Book Club and Eva was running behind as she had been at the hospital earlier waiting for news of the baby.  Her mother told us to  "carry on" with  Book Club.  So we did.

Eva fixed a wonderful  chicken and cheese in pastry braid.



And our book...



And we had a great time waiting for Miss Harper.



Next month I'm SURE she'll be at book club!  After all, she is a book club baby!!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

You are so lucky you can read in the car! I feel like I waste so much time riding like that. My book club is reading The Same Kind of Different as Me for June!!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...