Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday Snapshot

These are a pair of Canada Geese ( do we use Canadian when there is more than one?) and their goslings.   We took this photo last weekend on our 'birding' weekend at the Spring  Wings Festival.   We were in a tour van, and the  Goose family got in the road ahead of us.  When they saw us coming, they ran for their lives!
It was so cute.  The parents were 'honking' and the kids were running.  Finally, they all got over in the pond at the side of the road.


Does anyone remember the Disney movie "The Rescuers?"  and the duck that had trouble flying/getting off the ground?  That's what these guys reminded us of.  (also an American Coot --but we didn't get a photo of him. He was running to beat the band...and flapping his wings,  and he just couldn't take flight!  Sooo funny.)

I am linking this to Snapshot Saturday at 'At Home with Books'.
Stop by to link up your photo and check out the other great links.

15 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Holy cow, I wonder how many goslings there are! That's amazing! I hope you didn't scare them too much.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I can just hear the Mom Goose honking, "Run for your lives!!". Thanks for sharing it!

Alyce said...

Those poor scared geese! :) The background of the photo is gorgeous with the fields and the hills.

Kathy Walker said...

Hope there is a lake nearby! They are sure moving...

Karen said...

They're Canada Geese, no matter how many of them there are. They are never "Canadian" geese (because not all of them come from Canada LOL) That's a HUGE family - they usually only lay 5-8 eggs. Maybe they took the neighbors out for a walk LOL Nice picture!

Anonymous said...

With a view like that, I wouldn't mind having to wait for them to move off the road! Plus, I'd have loved watching them.

Anonymous said...

Karen is right, it's Canada Geese, however, everyone always says Canadian Geese (even we do). I had 2 of them in my front yard today. Now I have to watch where I step. Cute pic!

Bev Hankins said...

Who knew geese could have so many kids? Imagine having that many teenagers of your own at one time! Lol. Great picture!

Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/05/saturday-snapshot-may-21.html

Anonymous said...

Adorable, and that's a lot of kids to keep track of!
I saw a mama duck today with 9 ducklings, have to admire anyone who can keep up with that.

Elizabeth said...

How cute....Mama must be nervous. :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Now that is a BIG family; very cute indeed.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I love this pic!!

Irene said...

I live in Mississauga, On. geese have been a plague in our city for a number of years, and now I hardly see any. the powers that be must have done something. I do remember the Disney movie it was a favourite. Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

I love this shot... I've never seen geese run away like that. The ones around here will stand in the street while cars dodge them, they are fearless.

That must be two families of geese. The maximum number of eggs a female can incubate is about eight.

Col (Col Reads) said...

I think that's the biggest family of geese I've ever seen. No wonder momma goose can't fly -- she's too exhausted! :)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...