Monday, May 23, 2011

Welcome Armchair BEA

Book Expo America (sigh) ....I wish I was there.  But this is the next best thing! Armchair BEA.
(for those (4) of you, who read my blog regularly--this week I'm participating in Armchair BEA.   For all of us who couldn't go to the Book Expo America convention in NYC,  today is an introductory post)


At first look, you might think...what the heck? this doesn't look like a book blog, more like a food blog.   Well, this blog kind of has an identity crisis.  Books, food, gardening, bird, etc.    But if you look at it closely, books are  in, out, and all around this blog.  Books go good with food  (especially baked goods).  Books go good with gardening...I mean what's better than having a nice garden to go read a book in?  We hang a hammock and that hammock and a book?  It's HEAVEN, I tell ya, Heaven.   And while lying in that hammock, eating a homemade chocolate chip cookie, (which I have most likely blogged about), besides reading my book, I am noticing all the different birds which come into my backyard.  Books go good with EVERYTHING.

So, there you have it.  That is the introduction to me.  Debbie. I like to read, cook, read, garden,watch birds, and spend time with my grandchildren. I have 9 of them. Oh...and my kids too.  I have 4 of them.

I guess by now you have kind of figured out that I don't 'review' books per se, but I love books more than anything, and so when I found out about Armchair BEA, I thought---why not participate!    Even tho I'm not an official book blogger, I have worked in libraries in the past  and now I'm on the library board in our little rural Nevada town.  I love to talk books.  I belong to  5 bookclubs:
The Lit Wits  (we cook too.  It's a book and cook club)
Totally Lit
Word Shakers on line book club
The Literary Guild
and my church has a quarterly book club that I participate in. 

I think I pretty much read 'across the board'.   If I had to pick a favorite genre, it would be  series mysteries.  I love the character development.   But I read everything.

The BEA organizers wanted us to post a random fact about ourselves.  This is really hard because I think I blab everything about myself all the time.

Ummmm.....  in the fall of  2009, I did the  Susan G. Komen 3Day-60mile walk for breast cancer.  It was the most amazing thing I've ever done.
I've walked in the "Bay to Breakers"  12k walk in San Francisco 3 times.  Also an amazing  thing.  (and so much fun!!)
Last month, I walked in the March of Dimes walk for babies in Sparks, NV.  It was also amazing, because my little twin grandchilren walked (they are 2).  They were born 8 weeks premature, but are now growing and thriving and walking in a 2mile walk.  Amazing!

Walking seems to be a theme of my life also.  I do like to walk.
I  used to watch a women walk and read a book at the same time. Thank goodness we now have Ipod's so we can walk and listen to a book.  But she held a paperback in her hands and walked and read.  She would walk all over town reading while walking.
I thought I would try it. 
It didn't work for me.  It's not an easy thing to do.    Can you do it?

Last but not least.....for a random thing about me.   My license plate on my car says:




That is BOOK LOVER , not book liver.  and yes, I do need to wash my car.

and that is it for this introductory post.   I'll be back later today to participate in  "It's Monday" and to tell more about my birding weekend.  (no laughing, unless you've tried it)
Come back later and check it out.  (much later---like tonight)

9 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I love your license plate :-) And FIVE book clubs??? Impressive!

Carol said...

I enjoy your blog the way it is.

A little of books, food and the garden.

I agree, I need food to go with my book and my pet project this summer is to have a garden that is relaxing to sit and read.

At the mo, it looks like the compost heap! :)

carol

Alissa said...

Love the license plate!

Unknown said...

Love, love, LOVE the license plate! It is so nice to meet you! I'm glad you are participating, even if you don't "review" books. The fun is for everybody! :)

Bookfool said...

Great license plate. No, I can't walk and read. I can't even read while riding a car or airplane. Most disappointing. I see you have a very hodge-podgey blog, too. Wahoo for hodge-podge and nice to meet you! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Bookfool said...

Oh, oh, oh! The word verification was "sitaseat". That's what I do while reading, so it made me laugh. ;)

Susan said...

Love the license plate. Mine is IBBOOKN :)

Glad to have found you via Armchair BEA!

quirky girls said...

This was a fun post to read Debbie. I love your identity crisis. I think many of us share that. Have fun this week as you Armchair your way through BEA.

Margot @ Quirky Girls Read

pussreboots said...

Food and books. Great combo.

Unless I'm ill or traveling (and don't have access to the internet), I post a review each and every day. Come learn more about me and my blog.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...