Sunday, April 15, 2012

It's Monday, What are you reading?

It's Monday....What are you reading, is a great meme hosted by Sheila from  Book Journey.  It's a fun way to see what everybody else is reading, what's hot and what's not!
(at all my book clubs I have a habit of saying---it's all the rage on book blogs right now, or,  'The book bloggers are talking a lot about that one!!"  whenever we talk about books.   Well, this meme is where I get most of my info.
They  (my book club friends) think I'm so smart!  All it takes is to hop around to a few blogs, but I just let them keep thinking I'm  the smart one.

This past week I was a reading fool.   Hmmmm,  I just used the words  'smart one' and 'fool' when talking about myself.  I would say that describes my personality perfectly!!   ~smiles~

I finished "IT" by Stephen King.  
I loved it. I love Stephen King. I love the way he writes.
Okay, there was one weird part at the end, but I won't go into that now. Mostly I loved it.
from Goodreads:
A promise made twenty-eight years ago calls seven adults to reunite in Derry, Maine, where as teenagers they battled an evil creature that preyed on the city's children. Unsure that their Losers Club had vanquished the creature all those years ago, the seven had vowed to return to Derry if IT should ever reappear. Now, children are being murdered again and their repressed memories of that summer return as they prepare to do battle with the monster lurking in Derry's sewers once more.



I finished  "A Grown Up Kind of Pretty" by Joshilyn Jackson.  I  highly recommend this one.  I think it's one of her best...and I've read them all.
from Goodreads:
A GROWN-UP KIND OF PRETTY is a powerful saga of three generations of women, plagued by hardships and torn by a devastating secret, yet inextricably joined by the bonds of family. Fifteen-year-old Mosey Slocumb-spirited, sassy, and on the cusp of womanhood-is shaken when a small grave is unearthed in the backyard, and determined to figure out why it's there. Liza, her stroke-ravaged mother, is haunted by choices she made as a teenager. But it is Jenny, Mosey's strong and big-hearted grandmother, whose maternal love braids together the strands of the women's shared past--and who will stop at nothing to defend their future. 


I read  "Lone Wolf" by Jodi Picoult, which I also recommend.    Some people criticize her for her 'formula', but I really love how she tries to see different sides of issues thru the eyes of her different characters.
from Goodreads:
Edward Warren, twenty-four, has been living in Thailand for five years, a prodigal son who left his family after an irreparable fight with his father, Luke. But he gets a frantic phone call: His dad lies comatose, gravely injured in the same accident that has also injured his younger sister Cara.

With her father’s chances for recovery dwindling, Cara wants to wait for a miracle. But Edward wants to terminate life support and donate his father’s organs. Is he motivated by altruism, or revenge? And to what lengths will his sister go to stop him from making an irrevocable decision?

Lone Wolf explores the notion of family, and the love, protection and strength it’s meant to offer. But what if the hope that should sustain it, is the very thing that pulls it apart? Another tour de force from Jodi Picoult, Lone Wolf examines the wild and lonely terrain upon which love battles reason




I also read  "The Space Between Us" by Thrity Umigar.  I enjoyed this book. It was a look inside modern day India, a friendship, relationships and how complicated that can be. The caste system lives on, even if it's not supposed to.
from Goodreads:
Poignant, evocative, and unforgettable, The Space Between Us is an intimate portrait of a distant yet familiar world. Set in modern-day India, it is the story of two compelling and achingly real women: Sera Dubash, an upper-middle-class Parsi housewife whose opulent surroundings hide the shame and disappointment of her abusive marriage, and Bhima, a stoic illiterate hardened by a life of despair and loss, who has worked in the Dubash household for more than twenty years. A powerful and perceptive literary masterwork, author Thrity Umrigar's extraordinary novel demonstrates how the lives of the rich and poor are intrinsically connected yet vastly removed from each other, and how the strong bonds of womanhood are eternally opposed by the divisions of class and culture.




What's up for next week?
Tripwire by Lee Child  ( I need me some Jack Reacher!  He's one of my favorite characters in a series.)
Defending Jacob by  William Landay  (Lit Wits book club choice)
Out Stealing Horses by Per Pederson  (Library Book club choice--will read it/listen to it on Audio )
and.... (I can't wait)
11-22-63 by Stephen King  (4 of my Goodreads friends have given this
5 stars!! )

12 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

What a fun post! You crack me up with your "its all the rage on the blogs"...LOL I think I do a bit of that too at Book Club.

I have not read Piccoult for a while now...I think I am due.

Tanya Patrice said...

What awesome books! One day I'm going to re-read a few of Stephen Kings books - I loved It - but I can't remember much of it anymore.

Pamela said...

You have a great selection there! I really like the sound of A Grown up Kind of Pretty :)

Anonymous said...

I just finished A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty on audio, too, and also loved it! What a great reader.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You have had a great reading week. I need to add Space Between Us to my wishlist. Thank you.

Here's my
It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
Please stop by and say hello!

ShadowsTomes said...

I've been seeing a lot of Stephen King floating around lately! I guess that might be a sign? LOL Happy reading!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I enjoyed Lone Wolf...the only "voice" that started to get on my nerves was Luke's voice.

Overall, though, loved it!

I want to read the Joshilyn Jackson book.

Hope you have a great week...and here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

bermudaonion said...

I agree with you on A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty and Lone Wolf and I really want to read The Space Between Us. I LOVED 11/22/63!

Kristin said...

I have a few of the books you just read on my tbr list - A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty, Lone Wolf and The Space Between Us. I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on them all.

Have a great week!
Kristin @ Always With a Book

Jackie McGuinness said...

I read IT years ago and have also read The Space Between Us which I enjoyed.

The Brunette Librarian said...

:) Happy reading this week!

It's Monday! What are you reading at the Brunette Librarian!

Susan Lindquist said...

It's nice to see a synopsis of Lone Wolf ... I go in cycles with JP's books. She always has an intensely emotional central issue that she explores; sometimes I can deal and at other times I have to wait until I'm ready to deal. This week, I've been finishing up For All the Tea in China - an historical perspective on the British tea empire that grew up around its colonial outposts in India and beginning Agincourt - an historical novel centered on Henry V ... an older book, but worthy.

Happy Reading!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...