Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Cookbook Countdown #83





I just need to get this one recorded so it's out of my hair. 
That seems like a strange way to start a blog post, but, I didn't get any pictures taken of it like I had planned and I don't want to go back and do it again.  I have too many cookbooks to get thru.

See this?


There! They are in that red serving dish--- the 2nd one from the right.
That is the ONLY photo I have of the Hawaiian Sweet Potatoes.
Here is a little bit of cropping but you can tell the photo quality is not good.
But there you have it---The Hawaiian Sweet Potatoes.



As  I said the last time I posted a cookbook for the countdown,  
this isn't even making a dent in my collection.
And it's #83!
This will keep me busy until I die. (posting from each cookbook)
I'm so glad I have a purpose in life!  A goal!  I can never give up!
I made these sweet potatoes for our cooking club when we had Hawaiian Night.
It was a really fun evening and the sweet potatoes were really good.
My friend Sally said "where can I find that recipe?"  And I told her I would get it up on my blog--that was  September 22nd.
(sigh) I suck at being a friend apparently.  BUT,  just in the nick of time for Thanksgiving, I bring you--


 
Baked Sweet Potatoes

1 pound butter
6 pounds sweet potatoes, pre-cooked and thinly sliced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup raisins
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
4 oz coconut syrup

Preheat oven to 350F.  Rub a casserole dish with butter and spread the sweet potato slices in. Dot with butter, brown sugar, raisins, salt and pepper.   Bake for 40 minutes.  When done, combine the flour, macadamia nuts. remaining butter and coconut syrup until it is dry and resembles crumbly pie dough.  Top the casserole with the macadamia mixture and bake until it is golden--30-40 minutes. 
 
Lots of  people don't like the syrupy, candied, very 'sweet' sweet potatoes that are common at Thanksgiving.  These are not quite so sweet, BUT they do have way too much butter.  I didn't use so much, and I used currants instead of raisins, because that's what I had on hand.
 
This is cookbook #83.
 
 
 
 
 

From Goodreads:
Sam Choy's Sampler is the perfect introduction to the exotic and sunny flavors of Hawaii's multicultural cooking. Sam's recipes reflect a melding of East and West, with distinctive Polynesian flourishes and some highly innovative twists that could have been conceived only in the creative and original mind of Chef Choy.
Here are over 80 recipes including both Sam's innovations as well as his renditions of Island favorites. They range from simple preparations like poke, an addictively delicious raw seafood appetizer, to elaborate and beautiful dishes like Sautéed Island Fish Trio, sure to dazzle the table and palate at your next dinner party.
All the recipes use readily available ingredients. Where hard to find ingredients are involved, a guide to mail and Internet sources will give mainland readers access to poi, tropical fruits and even fresh fish.




2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Can you taste the coconut syrup? I don't like coconut.

RAnn said...

I'm loving this series and those sweet potatoes look wonderful!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...