Sunday, November 15, 2015

HO-HO-HO update-- The Christmas Joyride

I'm having a good time this week, trying to get some holiday reading in--in between 3 book clubs that happen this week  and some non-fiction (because, of course it's nonfiction November also)  I do have to say that when I sit down with a Christmas book,  I feel a lot more relaxed than when I'm trying to get the book club books in.
 
So having said that....what have I read that is Merry and Bright?
 

A fun, lighthearted book about spreading Christmas cheer.  With a little bit of romance thrown in for good measure!
And even tho it didn't go into this much, it was the setting for the story-- they were joyriding on Route 66. I love that old historic Highway, so I was happy to be along for the ride.
 
Goodreads says:
 
Miranda did not put adventure on her Christmas list, but thanks to her eighty-five-year-old neighbor Joy, that's exactly what she's getting this year. When Joy tells Miranda that she plans to drive an old RV decked out in Christmas decorations from their Chicago neighborhood to her new retirement digs in Phoenix--in the dead of winter, no less--the much younger Miranda insists that Joy cannot make such a trip by herself. Besides, a crazy trip with Joy would be more interesting than another Christmas home alone. Unemployed and facing foreclosure, Miranda feels she has nothing to lose by packing a bag and heading off to Route 66. But Joy has a hidden agenda for their Christmas joyride--and a hidden problem that could derail the whole venture.

No one captures the heartwarming fun of the Christmas season quite like Melody Carlson. Fasten your seat belt, because it's going to be an exciting ride!
 
 
Yesterday, while having my coffee at 6am I read these two:
Short, but sweet (48 or 50 pages each), but Mitford has a special place in my heart, and these were both lovely little reads.  If you are familiar with Mitford and it's quirky characters, I suggest reading these --- they'll help you get in the Christmas spirit!
 

 
 
 
Goodreads says of Esther's Gift:
In Esther's Gift, Esther Bolick is filled with the holiday spirit as she prepares to bake the annual batch of her famous-and utterly scrumptious-orange marmalade cakes. Right after Christmas Eve service at Lord's Chapel, she and Gene will deliver a two-layer marmalade to each of seven friends and neighbors, all of them favorite Mitford characters. Then Gene calculates what it costs to bake this legendary cake, and Esther is stunned. Is it worth it to spend so much money on people who haven't always measured up to her expectations? The answer is clear. She'll cut her list back-way back.

This decision makes perfect sense until the lyrics of a Christmas carol steal into her heart, and help remind her what a gift really means.
 
 
Goodreads says of the Mitford Snowmen:
It's Christmastime in Mitford, and everyone's favorite characters are filled with holiday spirit. In The Mitford Snowmen, a swirling snowfall brings them to Main Street for a snowman-building contest complete with doughnuts, hot chocolate, and contagious good cheer. A charming small trim size and enchanting four-color illustrations make this the perfect way to visit Mitfordand gather a heart full of Christmas joy.
 
 
Today I have NOTHING to do, so plan on settling down with a good book or two,  I have 2 more Christmas novel that I'd like to get done by Tuesday. 
Why does work always get in my way???
 

4 comments:

Tina said...

I started The Lake House by Kate Morton. No holiday reading for me yet but I see you have a great start!

bermudaonion said...

I love Mitford! Are those ebook only?

bermudaonion said...

I just looked - our library has both Mitford books.

Stefanie said...

The joy ride and the gift books sound fun so luckily I found them in my library database.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...