Thursday, November 5, 2015

Nonfiction November - Week 1


Apparently I suck at non-fiction reading.   You'll soon see....
But first...

This is my first year for Nonfiction November.  I'M SO EXCITED!  (because...I just am) I'm looking forward to finishing a couple of non-fiction books I've begun and reading a brand new one too!  In my mind, it will be a wonderful, calm (before the storm),  sitting by the fire, curling up with some good books, drinking good coffee, smelling pumpkin spice and turkey kind of month. In reality I feel November flies by, so I am hoping that this will help me be calm and relaxed---which is what I've always wanted for November.
Thanks to Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness), Becca (I'm Lost in Books),  Lu (Regular Rumination)  and Katie (Doing Dewey) for hosting!

Our first week is hosted by Kim and the topic is (by the way, there will be different topics each week in November):
Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

As I said, apparently I suck!  I've only read 5--FIVE nonfiction books this year.  And that makes me kind of sad.  Although, I am a fan of coffee table books. Does that count?  I've bought a couple and read them. That could up my count total. Hmmmmm?  Or cookbooks?  Do they count?  I've read a ton of cookbooks!

What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?
My favorite has to be A River Lost: The Life and Death of the Columbia

 
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, in the shadow of the Columbia River. And I loved this book and I love this river.
 
 
What nonfiction book have you recommended the most?
I would have to say Amy Poehler's  "Yes Please".   She is brilliant---in a comedic sort of way. And since I've only read 5 nonfiction so far this year, my pickings are slim.  Not to say that I wouldn't recommend this one anyway.  I loved it.
 
I know her humor is not for everyone, but I listened to the audio, narrated by Poehler herself and the timing was spot on--of course.  I have watched the PBS documentary about the Comedians and just find it amazing how women comics broke thru the 'man's world',  so I have a soft spot in my heart, I guess, for women comedians.
AND--I wish I was that witty.  I'm the one who goes home and play something over in my mind for a day or two and THEN, only THEN do I come up with a witty comeback.
 
 
What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet?
Obviously I read more on the lighter side of non-fiction, but I would have to say---Books on Social Justice written by progressive Christians. 
Seriously.  
And that can be a tuff and really deep subject, so I tend to stay away and stick to easier nonfiction like memoirs and cookbooks.  But I  would like to read more of that type of nonfiction some day.  Heaven must be a big library, right?
 
 
What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?
I'm just hoping to get a lot of good recommendations, visit some new-to-me blogs, making new friends and getting enthused about nonfiction!  Adding to my TBR list!!!
 
 
Signing off to read now....  The Oregon Trail!  (it's nonfiction!)   (I know you knew that---I was being silly)  (see?  Not that witty---I feel I have to explain myself--Poehler would never do that) 



5 comments:

JoAnn said...

I hope you love The Oregon Trail as much as I did... it's probably my favorite nonfiction this year. My daughter loved Yes, Please and keeps telling me to read it :)

DoingDewey said...

I'm excited you'll be joining us for Nonfiction November! I always have so much fun with this event. I'd like to try Yes, Please and see if it works for me - humorous memoirs are some of my favorites. But like you, I'd also like to read more serious books about Social Justice, although I'm more interested in topics having to do with race than religion. Should be a good month! :)

bermudaonion said...

I love memoirs so I technically read quite a bit of nonfiction but somehow memoirs seem like "nonfiction lite" to me. I do love a good narrative nonfiction book.

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

I agree - heaven will definitely be a big library! And we'll have all the time in the world to read the books we never got to! :)

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I liked Yes Please a lot too. I thought she was really funny, especially on the audio book.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...