Thursday, June 12, 2014

Chicken Spaghetti and a salad


Chicken spaghetti AND  24-hour salad -- aka  7-layer salad.

It was a great summer time Sunday evening meal.
A cool drink, a good book, and SUMMER!
(I won't be saying this come August when it is 100+ degrees, but for now--it is almost perfection)
As you can see in the photo below, I am still making my way thru the Game of Thrones--I love it.   I don't know why I have waited so long to read the 1st in the series because now I have 4 more long books to go thru before I can watch the series on Netflix!

I was just glancing thru a few reading questions  on the internet and one of them asked  "if you had all the time in the world, what would you read?"
My answer?
All the unread books on my bookshelf.
What's your's?


This 24-hour or  7-layer salad  was a big fad when I was first married in the early  to mid 80's (I was married in 1978, but made this in my early years a lot).

It's really simple, but I hadn't made it in  years until I had to take something to a church gathering last year.
It was gone in a matter of minutes!  
My mom called it a  7-layer salad, because it had seven things in it.
You also let it set in the fridge for 24 hours or overnight, before eating it, hence the name--24-hour salad.
I did neither of those things--I think I only had 6 layers and it was only a 7-hour salad.
But the Handyman loved it, as did my son and his wife.
The Handyman said "this could be a meal on a summer night"
That's one thing I like about the Handyman--he kind of eats with the seasons--lighter things in the spring/summer,  heavier things in the fall/winter.

The thing that's funny about the Handyman?  He'll think this salad is diet food and he is being good.   All that bacon and cheese and mayonnaise won't count in his mind.  
It's a salad.



7-layer Salad
24-Hour Salad
Overnight Salad
(it comes by different names)

1 head of lettuce torn
frozen peas
hard boiled eggs
1 lb. bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
red onion, diced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mayo mixed with 1 T sugar

layer in order given and put in fridge over night.
It looks  pretty in a glass bowl, so you can see the layers.
Then toss before serving.


The Chicken Spaghetti that I make is from the Pioneer Woman.
It's really good, and everywhere I take it, everyone loves it.
I say it's mine---I never give her credit.
I say I made it up and I never watch her show on the Food Network-- nope.
When people say 'oh this is soo goood!!
I say  "why thank you"


Chicken Spaghetti
via the Pioneer Woman.


Ingredients

  • 2 cups Cooked Chicken
  • 3 cups Dry Spaghetti, Broken Into Two Inch Pieces
  • 2 cans Cream Of Mushroom Soup
  • 2 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 1/4 cup Finely Diced Green Pepper
  • 1/4 cup Finely Diced Onion
  • 1 jar (4 Ounce) Diced Pimentos, Drained
  • 2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth From Pot
  • 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon (to 1/4 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
  •  Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup Additional Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar.
Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).

3 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I've made the pioneer woman's chicken spaghetti - a family favorite!

bermudaonion said...

We've made that chicken spaghetti too. I well remember the 7 layer salad from our early years of marriage. (We got married in 1979 - I swear you and I are practically twins.)

Karen said...

The Pioneer Woman is gonna get you! LOL

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...