Saturday, April 30, 2016

Inside the O'Briens --Winner of my TBR list

 
This is the 3rd time I have I joined in a monthly meme hosted by Michelle at  Because Reading is Better than Real Life, in which we put up 3 books on the first Saturday of the month, and then you readers, vote on which one I should read, I read and then I write a blog post on the last Saturday of the month.
 
It's so much fun!
This time the winner was:
Inside the O'Briens
by Lisa Genova
 
I'm so glad that YOU guys chose it for me.
What do I have to say about this book?
I loved it, I hated it?  I loved it.  It was good, but bad, heart wrenching, emotional, happy, hopeful?
It was all those things and more.
It's a very powerful story.
 
And the way Genova writes? Oh man!
That's all---my very impressive opinion on her writing style--Oh man!
You can interpret that any way you want--you'll have to read it to find out for yourself.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
From Goodreads:
Joe O’Brien is a forty-four-year-old police officer from the Irish Catholic neighborhood of Charlestown, Massachusetts. A devoted husband, proud father of four children in their twenties, and respected officer, Joe begins experiencing bouts of disorganized thinking, uncharacteristic temper outbursts, and strange, involuntary movements. He initially attributes these episodes to the stress of his job, but as these symptoms worsen, he agrees to see a neurologist and is handed a diagnosis that will change his and his family’s lives forever: Huntington’s disease.
 
Huntington’s is a lethal neurodegenerative disease with no treatment and no cure. Each of Joe’s four children has a 50 percent chance of inheriting their father’s disease, and a simple blood test can reveal their genetic fate. While watching her potential future in her father’s escalating symptoms, twenty-one-year-old daughter Katie struggles with the questions this test imposes on her young adult life. Does she want to know? What if she’s gene positive? Can she live with the constant anxiety of not knowing?

As Joe’s symptoms worsen and he’s eventually stripped of his badge and more, Joe struggles to maintain hope and a sense of purpose, while Katie and her siblings must find the courage to either live a life “at risk” or learn their fate.

Praised for writing that “explores the resilience of the human spirit” (The San Francisco Chronicle), Lisa Genova has once again delivered a novel as powerful and unforgettable as the human insights at its core.
 
 
Think about joining in with us next Saturday--and put up 3 books for bloggers to vote on which one you read.
Thanks Michelle!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad this was a good one to read.

Sarah said...

I just read Still Alice by her and I agree with every one of your comments! I was an emotional wreck after finishing it, but her writing style is just wonderful. She can really make you cry!!

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad it was a winner for you. I really want to try one of her books.

Michelle@Because Reading said...

I am very glad you enjoyed it! :)

Laura Greenwood said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this! And look forward to voting next Saturday!

Laura @ a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk

Bookworm Brandee said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one...I think?!? *haha* I think it's a sign of a good book when your emotions are so stirred. I've not read Genova before but I'll be sure to pick up something from her. :)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...