Thursday, January 6, 2022

Friday friend recipe #285 and 286 Melissa's Potato Pie and Fettuccini Alfredo

 





Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook? I once had about 50 of my closest friends and family (from all over the county) on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends . At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 21 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday. (plus so much more....)

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.


I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.


Which brings me to this... recipes #285 and 286

My niece Melissa's Torta Di Patate and Fettuccini Alfredo


This was really good! 
It was a pleasant surprise from my little niece.
Well--I still think of her as little.




And her fettuccini? Probably not for the health conscious, but mmm, mmm good!











When I wrote that it was a pleasant surprise from my 'little' niece, it's because I still think of her as little!

This is my niece story...
As you know I raised boys, so girl emotions were foreign to me. You would think that because I was a girl, I would understand, but I was just not used to girl emotions after a bit.
Melissa and her brother Matt came to stay with us one summer and at that time there were 4 or 5 boys in my house and her.  She was looking thru my wallet--back in the day when we carried photos in our wallets-- and noticed that her cousin Brittney's picture was the first one in my photos sleeve.
She came wailing to me "WHY is Brittney's picture before mine in your wallet?"   I'm not exaggerating when I say wailing
And I didn't know what to say!   No one ever cared where they were in my wallet before.  I was speechless for a moment, trying to think what to say--and in that moment, her emotions took a giant leap and she wailed louder and stomped off and said, "no one cares about me! NO ONE CARES ABOUT ME!"
I did tho--I really did!!
She had to be a pre-teen at the time. She did.  She really did.

Photo is of a bunch of cousins.
Melissa on the left upper corner and Brittney on the right bottom.

Have you ever heard the term "country cousins"?
I read it in a book once and it meant the cousin of your cousin.
Right below Melissa is my nephew Jeff, from my side of the family (she and her brother Matt, the one showing off his nostrils, and Brittney are from my husband's side of the family.  The two sullen looking ones are my sons).   So, my nephew Jeff, (bottom left) and my niece Melissa are country cousins. 
I guess this only makes sense in a small town.
And yes, I meandered!  
I always do.

Anyway--there are Melissa and Brittney. Cousins.  And my photo of Brit first in my wallet was the cause of woe back then!
That's my Melissa story.

And then I'll share this cute little scene below because I still think of her as little! My sweet little niece.
This was years before her pre-teen angst.  She was 3 and that year we had a big family vacation (the Handyman's side--Brittney wasn't born yet) at the Oregon coast.
This was way before cell phone cameras and video editing, when we tried to make funny picture sequences by staging funny photos--didn't everybody?
Here is the story...
Uncle Scott was buried, and Melissa tried to save him!



She needed reinforcements, so in steps her dad.


Still, she couldn't get him out of there, so here comes Aunt Debbie (me)



Fun times!
I'm not sure if Uncle Scott ever got out of there or not.

Melissa grew up!
And went back to the Oregon Coast.



And she had her own little girl, Alice!





Who, holey heck, is buried in the sand!
Never Fear Alice! Your mom has experience in helping people out of the sand. She's an old hand at it.  Just ask Uncle Scott.





And these my friends are

recipes #285 and #286

Only 81 left to go!

I can do it!

WOO HOO!  I am below 100 recipes now.  Yay!  Yahoo! Whoopie!

Altho.... do you remember when I counted wrong before?  I think I did it again.
I keep counting what I have left by recipe AND by person and it does not add up to 81- it's more like 68. 
Which would make me very happy, but for now....I'll stick to the 81 until it gets closer to the end and I'll recount what I have left.

1 comment:

Karen said...

You just have a way of telling a story... I find myself smiling while reading the whole thing!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...