Monday, January 10, 2022

Friday Friend recipe #287 Mozzarella and Tomato Salad

 




 I am under 100 now--I must get this done!  At least to prove something to myself if not the Handyman...
 because...

...about 21 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an
  e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?
because one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman, who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said "you'll never EVER do that."
Well, maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings us to  Kim's 
Mozzarella and Tomato Salad

**********************************
I just need to hurry up and 'get 'er done'
Then I'll show him!

And as always, it's not about the quality of the photos, it's about the family, friends and fun we have all had together!


It's hard to know what to say about salads.
This is really good tho!
The pine nuts give it a little something extra.





Kim turned in 2 recipes for the Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown.
Only 2.
Her mom turned in many.  More than 50, so I have used some 'family' stories in those 50-- and Kim has been featured in trips to Marine World and the BVD story (just 2 posts ago) and of course when little Charlie was born, and then the fateful tale of the frogs used as batting practice (first time she met my boys--poor Kim.  
Poor frogs)
What I'm trying to say is that Kim's been featured a lot-- so when it comes down to her 2nd and final (yes, this will be the last time we'll see Kim in the Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown), my stories are getting slim.

I could say---oh look, there is Kim who has always liked to climb high and look down on where she was!




The first time she was about 13, and she didn't actually climb that mountain, but rather rode a tram up it... but still, high above where we were staying.

And this picture below?  I'm sure she ran up the hill.
RAN.





I could say that once she ran up the hill and back down, her husband Garrett and she celebrated with champagne.
I could say that.




But no, I'm going to talk about another kind of 'hike', or trek if you will.
Not the one when she was this age (below) and her dad (the night before this photo was taken, the morning before the fateful frog deaths) took my boys and she on a snipe hunt in the dark--among the artichoke fields in Salinas, California.  (perhaps it wasn't in the artichoke fields, but just around the neighborhood) To this day, 30 years later, I think my boys believe that Doug actually caught a snipe, which escaped out of the bottom of the paper bag, while they were all walking home from the artichoke fields/neighborhood.
There was proof when they returned home--the paper bag had a hole in the bottom!!

Anyway, we're not talking about that trek....





But this trek---this search---this quest----
She was about this age (below).
No longer in Salinas, Ca, but now in Yuba City, California
(except in the photo below, we were all on vacation together at Wallowa Lake, Oregon.
I think she was annoyed with her dad in this photo because he didn't let her climb down a cliff to a waterfall)


But around this same time/age period, we were visiting Yuba City for the weekend and had another epic board game weekend which included many laughs, many cocktails.
Kim had a cat named Checkers. 
Checkers had disappeared (probably for self-preservation after hearing about the frogs) and after 2 days Kim was so very sad, that we all felt so bad for her that 8 of us piled into our mini-van to go drive the neighborhood to see if poor Checkers was stuck in a tree or something.
We decided to do this at night for some reason (?) (games, laughs and cocktails?)
We drove around the big neighborhood loop.  
A couple of times.
Because Kim was almost in tears.
We had no luck at all, so after 30 minutes or so we headed for home.
As we were pulling into Barb and Doug's driveway--there was Checkers--SPOTLIGHTED by our headlights against the garage door.
Cheers erupted inside the mini-van!
The funny thing was at that exact moment, Checkers decided to try to catch a moth that was flying by, and as soon as our headlights hit the cat, she (he?) jumped up and 'clapped' at our arrival.
Okay, so it was the moth she/he was trying to get, but it looked like a clap!
It was a miracle!  
Again--cheers erupted from the van!
Checkers had been found and all was well.

That's my story.

*******************************


And this my friends is

recipe #287

Only 80 left to go!

I can do it!

WOO HOO!  I am below 100 recipes now.  Yay!  Yahoo! Whoopie!

Altho.... do you remember when I counted wrong before?  I think I did it again.
I keep counting what I have left by recipe AND by person and it does not add up to 80- it's more like 67. 
Which would make me very happy, but for now....I'll stick to the 80 until it gets closer to the end and I'll recount what I have left.

No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...