Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Friday friend recipe numbers #282 283 and 284--Raw Veggie Salad, Crab Enchiladas and Bean Salad



My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #282, 283 and 284


Barbara Brown's Raw Veggie Salad, Crab Enchiladas and Bean Salad

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....

...and the rest is cookbook history!

Just remember, the countdown is not all about pretty food and food design---it's about the people and the stories.
And (the most important thing)  proving my husband wrong--and that I can and WILL make every recipe in this cookbook





I guess I can't quit--I just saw the line "the most important thing is proving my husband wrong."
He is never wrong, so I just have to do this! I must finish!
Cook on Friday Friend--Cook on!
(that was a little cheer I am saying to myself as the older I get the more I don't want to cook every single night.
I like to do it on the weekends and I don't always have as much free time on the weekends as I'd like.)
(sigh) cook on......

Speaking of my husband. The Handyman. The Mayor.  
He does offer and is willing to help me when I need it.
I think I've told you before, that during the deepest darkest shut down hours of Covid (2020 in our little town) 3 friends and I did a dinner swap for 9 months.
We cooked and delivered dinner to each other one night a week. 
My night was Wednesday.
I made crab enchiladas for them one time.
Mmmmmm.....
and the Handyman helped!







The only person in my whole house who likes a good bean salad is
ME!
So I ate the whole thing!  By myself.  Don't judge me.




And now... a Barbara Brown story:
(this is getting harder and harder.  I'm running out of stories about her.
Check out all her other stories here.  Click here. )
There are 58 stories about her.   I can't think of a 59th.
Okay, I just went back thru all 58 of her other posts and I see (read) myself complaining in every single one!  I complain about not having photos of her and running out of stories about her.  I do this FOR YEARS!!  And 58 times.
Sigh. 
No more complaining from me!
I can finish this cookbook countdown and I can figure out a bunch more stories about Barb!

Update** The Handyman was home at lunch, and I said "I have to go look for a picture of Barb and a story" then I told him how much I'd been complaining about not having any new stories about her.
He said to tell her she put too many recipes in the cookbook.
That's it.  No sympathy for me.  No story about Barb.
She put in too many recipes.   LOL

BUT never fear---I have found a couple pictures AND a story to go with.
I have these two old pictures of Barb with her vintage Christmas decorations.
(not a complaint--just a fact--I'm running low on photos of her)  
(also, it's just a week after Christmas)
I don't know if Barb has her vintage holiday decor anymore, these were taken well over 15 years ago, but I do love vintage holiday decor.  I love everything vintage.

Anyway, aren't these lovely?



Now I thought---hmmm--story?  What can I do about a story?  I dip into my old Friday Friend Forum folder and what did I find?
In 2004, I asked what everyone was doing for Christmas Eve.  (I could soooo be a historian!)
And some of my Friday 'Friends" husbands answered.


To keep it straight--Doug Brown is Barb's husband.

The very next day, their daughter Kim, asks  (remember, this was a forum, so all things came thru me)
Kim was 19 or 20 in 2004.

Doug, Doug answer your daughter!  She doesn't know what to think so she writes this:
Is it a Black Velvet Drink?  BVD?

Doug still does not answer, so I wrote this:
Doug is obviously ashamed and embarrassed by his BVD statement--cuz his daughter read it. She thinks he is sitting around in his PJs on Christmas Eve having "Black Velvet Drink", which I'm sure he is, I mean the acronym fits, so let her think that, right?
(the funny thing is, he drank Black Velvet back them so,?)

My son Luke answers (underwear, he says), our friend Mitzi answers (skivvies, she says)

But our friend Lisa answers, and she says:
 Hey, silly, BVD's are a brand of underwear.... so, he will be sitting around in his underwear!  Good Grief!  Or is it Good BRIEF? 

Now, that's funny!  You can't deny it.
Good Brief!  
HA ha ha ha!
I love a good pun.

And guess what?
I found a long-lost photo of Lisa and Barb together!
(They probably were only together once in their entire lives--well, their lives aren't over yet, so who knows?)


I am telling this story to the Handyman, and he laughs and says, too bad you don't have a picture of Doug in his BVD's.

Gosh, that really is too bad--now Kim will never know what her dad was wearing that Christmas Eve so long ago.


Hmmm... do you think the Handyman will wonder where I got this photo?
Should I put him out of his misery?  Or make his suffer?

Today at 12:45pm I send Barb a text saying:
You don't happen to have a picture of Dough in his underwear handy, do you?
At 12:49pm I got that picture of him!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS BARB?!
lol
It is too good to be true.
It was meant to be.

That's my story!  My 59th Barb story.
I still got it!!!



And these my friends are

recipes #282, 283 and 284

Only 83 left to go!

I can do it!

WOO HOO!  I am below 100 recipes now.  Yay!  Yahoo! Whoopie!

Altho.... do you remember when I counted wrong before?  I think I did it again.
I keep counting what I have left by recipe AND by person and it does not add up to 83- it's more like 70. 
Which would make me very happy, but for now....I'll stick to the 83 until it gets closer to the end and I'll recount what I have left.  


1 comment:

Karen said...

Bhahaha... she actually came up with a picture!!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...