Thursday, January 20, 2022

Friday Friend Recipe #291--Rum Coffee

 




 I am under 100 now--I must get this done!  At least to prove something to myself if not the Handyman...
 because...

...about 21 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an
  e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?
because one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman, who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said "you'll never EVER do that."
Well, maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings us to Stella's
Rum Coffee

**********************************
I just need to hurry up and 'get 'er done'
Then I'll show him!

And as always, it's not about the quality of the photos, it's about the family, friends and fun we have all had together!





The Rum Coffee is very tasty!
A great way to start a Sunday morning?  Maybe--if you're not headed to church.  
But no holds barred if you're just in search of something to warm you up on a wintery afternoon!


Stella doesn't cook.  She has lots of good traits and talents, but cooking is not one of them. She'll readily admit that--so she doesn't have many recipes in this countdown--this is her last. Again, I feel as if I'm saying goodbye to a friend, and it saddens me.
Of course, she just commented on a post last week and I answered her.  So, this isn't our final, final goodbye--just our cookbook goodbye.
We can be letter-writing friends (ahem--Stella?)  and Facebook friends and phone call friends and even meet up friends, but not cookbook friends.




I really wish we lived close to each other again.
Stella made me walk.
Well, okay, I've always liked to walk, but she encouraged me to do more than just a little sigh-seeing jaunt around the block (but those are nice too). 
We hiked!
We got to know each other when I lived in California and we worked together, so a few times a week after work we would walk and then  one day she asked me to hike at Point Lobos, outside of Carmel, CA (look it up--it's a gorgeous coastal natural reserve--the crown jewel of California's state parks) with her and later to hike the Pinnacles (look it up--Pinnacles National Park is an American national park protecting a mountainous area located east of the Salinas Valley in Central California )
We hiked other places too, but those two will always be my favorites.
We did a couple of 5K's
And more than once, we did the Bay to Breakers (Bay to Breakers is an annual footrace in San Francisco, California typically on the third Sunday of May. The phrase "Bay to Breakers" reflects the fact that the race starts at the northeast end of the downtown area a few blocks from The Embarcadero and runs west through the city to finish at the Great Highway. The complete course is 7.46 miles long.)


BUT I AM WALKER PEOPLE---A walker.
Not a runner.
Stella is a runner--she just slowed down, a LOT, for me, because she's a good friend like that.
At the start of Bay to Breakers, you wait in line for a couple hours and people throw tortillas.
I'm not sure why, but it's fun to see flying tortillas overhead!
**take note that I did not register in time for my first ever Bay to Breakers and did not have my official T-shirt**


There was a group of us from the school we worked at, my sons's (all three of them had him) 6th grade teacher, Mr. Richardson and Stella and her husband Ken. (*no longer married).  My boss/friend Georgann was also there. 




Stella and I walked and walked and talked and talked and lost the others as they ran ahead and then waited for us.


But we made friends along the way!
There are all kinds of good friends in San Francisco.


I miss her and her encouragement. 
And that's my story!  Not much 'food', but friendship is the food of life.  Or is that bread?  
Any way you look at it--friendship, food, bread and hikes--it's a good thing.



And this my friends is

recipe #291

Only 76 left to go!

I can do it!

WOO HOO!  I am below 100 recipes now.  Yay!  Yahoo! Whoopie!

Altho.... do you remember when I counted wrong before?  I think I did it again.
I keep counting what I have left by recipe AND by person and it does not add up to 80- it's more like 67. 
Which would make me very happy, but for now....I'll stick to the 80 until it gets closer to the end and I'll recount what I have left.

No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...