Sunday, October 23, 2016

Classic Club--my first!

From Goodreads:
In the village of King's Abbot, a widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secret affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study--but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. King's Abbot is crawling with suspects, including a nervous butler, Ackroyd's wayward stepson, and his sister-in-law, Mrs. Cecil Ackroyd, who has taken up residence in the victim's home. It's now up to the famous detective Hercule Poirot, who has retired to King's Abbot to garden, to solve the case of who killed Roger Ackroyd--a task in which he is aided by the village doctor and narrator, James Sheppard, and by Sheppard's ingenious sister, Caroline.The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is the book that made Agatha Christie a household name and launched her career as a perennial bestseller. Originally published in 1926, it is a landmark in the mystery genre. It was in the vanguard of a new class of popular detective fiction that ushered in the modern era of mystery novels.

From Me:
Great book! A classic mystery--a whodunit -- everyone should read it.
I started out with an easy book, I understand that, but I have to read Dr. Zhivago for my Classic's spin very soon, so, Agatha Christie was okay to begin with. 
And now I feel bad that I said it was an 'easy' one to begin with... this book was:
1.  Really good.  Do you remember (or have you seen on Facebook) that cat who is watching a horror movie?  Well, that's how this book is--I'm sure my face looked exactly like that cat's...eyes large, eyes small, furrowed brow, pursed lips, shock and awe.  That pretty much describes your facial expressions upon reading this.

2. Christie really is the master of "who-dun-it" and this one was her most controversial book when it was first published, as well as being featured on the 1001 books you should read before you die!  Two great reasons one should read it.

3.  If I hadn't chosen  a list of classic mysteries  (yes, thinking they might be an easier read than some more traditional classics) I would have never read Agatha Christie.
And now, I can't wait to get back to her!




4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've only read one of her books and I thought it was okay. I haven't been in a hurry to read any of her others since then.

FictionFan said...

Glad you enjoyed this - it's a great one, isn't it? Agatha Christie really is brilliant - you have so many more excellent ones to look forward to! So much better than Dr Zhivago... ;)

JoAnn said...

The only Agatha Christie I've read is And Then There Were None... so, so good! I want to read more of her books, so will add this to my list. Thanks :)

Katherine P said...

Agatha Christie is one of my absolute favorite authors! I love all the twists and turns she throws in. I 2nd JoAnn's love of And Then There Were None and highly recommend Sleeping Murder as well. Good luck with Dr. Zhivago!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...