Saturday, October 8, 2016

Sunday Soup/Souper Sundays


Mexican Potato Soup. 
Mmmm.
I would serve this one at my fictional  soup restaurant
  "Ahh-some Soups"
The Handyman co-signed that.  He said  "if you were going to make this again, and I know you're not, but if  you were, just know that I like it a lot."

This one tho?  I just might make it again....it was creamy, cheesy, potato-y, spicy  goodness.
(it isn't that I wouldn't make some soups again---I do do that---but there are just so many to try and so little time! But this one?  I WILL be making it again.  For company too!)




The recipe says that steak and potatoes go together like-- well-- steak and potatoes.
A dinner classic!
So, in this soup,  you grill up some steak strips and garnish the soup with a strip of ancho-grilled steak and some Pico de Gallo.



Mexican Potato Soup

Melt:
4 T unsalted butter

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat until foamy.

Add:
1 cup minced onions
1/2 cup minced celery
2 T minced fresh garlic
2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 T all purpose flour

Add onions, celery, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and cayenne to the pot and sweat until onion softens, about  5 minutes. 
Sweat the spices with the onions and celery  and garlic to release their flavors into the soup.
Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.

Stir in:
4 cups chicken broth
2 lb red skinned potatoes, peeled and diced (I didn't peel)
12 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
1 1/2 cups half-and-half

Stir in broth and potatoes; bring to a boil and cook  until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
Crush potatoes with a potato masher to desired consistency, then stir in the pepper jack cheese and half and half until cheese melts.

Off heat, stir in:
1/2 cup sour cream
salt, pepper and lime juice to taste
1 recipe Pepper Pico de Gallo

Off heat, stir in sour cream, season with salt, pepper and lime juice.
Garnish each serving with Ancho rubbed Flank Steak and Pepper Pico de Gallo.

*****************

Ancho Rubbed Flank Steak

Flank steak can be tough. To remedy this, cook it only until rare, then thinly slice against the grain to keep the fibers shorter and less chewy

Combine:
2 T brown sugar
1 T ancho chili powder
2 t kosher salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp black pepper
Minced zest of 1 lime

Rub:
1 flank steak  ( 1 1/2 lb)

Preheat grill to medium-high.
Brush grill grate with oil.
Combine brown sugar, chili powder, salt, garlic, pepper and zest for the rub.
Rub both sides of the steak with spice rub; grill 2 minutes per side.
Flip steak 2 more times, cooking 2 minutes on each side until an instant read thermometer measures 125F in the thickest part for rare.  Tent the steak with foil and let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain.

*********************
Pepper Pico de Gallo

1/3 cup each finely diced red, yellow and orange bell peppers.
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno, finely diced
2 T fresh lime juice
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste



It's definitely worth the trouble!
Invite friends to come share on a cold winter night.
As I said, the Handyman co-signed that!  He told me over and over how much he liked it.




 I am going to link up  with
Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen!
Souper Sundays is a weekly blog event that started because of her love of soup and a desire to work through the many soup and soup-like recipes in cookbooks and magazines, Deb set a goal to make a soup or "soupish" dish each week and post it each Sunday and invited others to do the same.







And also I'm going to link up with Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book reviews (novel, nonfiction), cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs, restaurant reviews, travel information, or fun food facts!




6 comments:

Beth F said...

Ha ha! I too don't repeat many recipes. Anyway, this one sounds like a great cool-weather dinner. I like the idea of floating the steak on top.

Mae Travels said...

Delicious is what I predict this soup would be. Thanks for the appealing recipe.
best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

bermudaonion said...

Carl would be in heaven if I cooked different recipes all the time.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job. These bowls of soup look so tasty.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

It does sound like a lot of work, but I'm sure my family would enjoy it. I'm pinning this one.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I have a hard time repeating soup recipes too, but there are a few I sneak in there. ;-) This looks delicious and satisfying and I can see why you'd be tempted to make it again.

Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...