Friday, October 28, 2016

Food 'N Flix -- Banana Slush Punch


Food 'n Flix is a group of bloggers who get together every month to watch a movie, and then head into the kitchen and mix up something inspired by the flick. 

There is always room for another pillow in front of the tellie, and another chair around the table. So if you're a blogger who wants to join in the fun, please feel free to jump in at any moment.

 October's  Flick was chosen by  Deb at Kahakai Kitchen   She  chose  the movie Beetlejuice 
check out her announcement post here---and be sure and play along next month!
Chances are you have seen this 1988 Tim Burton-directed comedy-fantasy film, but if not, Beetlejuice is the story of a Connecticut couple Adam and Barbara Maitland (Alec Baldwin and Gina Davis) who get in an accident and wake up back in their home. It isn't long before they realize that they didn't survive. ('The Handbook for the Recently Deceased' that they find is a pretty big clue!) They also find that they can't leave their house-making it difficult when a new family from the city moves in. When the Deetz family and their designer Ortho take over and redecorate the house, Barbara and Adam try to scare them out and when that doesn't work they summon Betelgeuse (pronounced Beetlejuice and played by Michael Keaton), a "bio-exorcist" ghost for help--only Beetlejuice's kind of help wreaks complete havoc.



When I was telling my son and his wife that I needed to borrow their Beetlejuice CD and explaining to them that I had to watch it and be inspired--foodie inspired-- they both said, in unison, PUNCH!
They insisted that I make punch.
And then they insisted on watching the movie with me--because well --- Beetlejuice!!

What inspired me (foodie wise) about the movie? Well, how could I not get excited when those two young adults are so excited, laughing and saying 'see? you have to make punch!"

So...I made punch.

What they, nor I, until I really listened, is that the lyrics in this song say  BUNCH and not PUNCH.
It's talking about a "bunch" of bananas and the guy just wants to go home after the 'tally' man counts how many bunches he has stack.
  So, I made a punch with a bunch of bananas in it.




A frozen, slushy, banana flavored punch.
Perfect for kids.
Unless you top it with a splash of rum--which is what I did.
I always like a little splash of rum in my punch.

This rum/banana punch fit the theme, even if it was a little predictable.
It was a fun afternoon laughing at our lyrical mistakes.
The movie was just as cute and fun as it was years ago.
And that song?  You can't get it out of your head!


I handed one to the Handyman and he kept trying to take the little brown specs out of it, until I said those were banana seeds.

I've been AMAZED at the creativity my fellow Food 'n Flix friends come up with.  They are some of the most creative cooks I know.  I always have such fun stopping in at their blogs just to see what they come up with.




Banana Slush Punch

4 ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
large can of pineapple juice
Rum...the recipe doesn't say Rum, that is my option.  But really?  You should.

Blend the first 3 ingredients and all the rest.  Freeze in a large bowl.  Add to cups and float a splash of rum (or maybe 7-up?) on top.
Enjoy.





11 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

That story totally cracks me up! Your (BUNCH of) ;-) Banana Slush PUNCH looks delicious--I'll have mine with rum please.

Thanks for joining in the fun this month!

Vicki said...

What a great drink to make for Beetlejuice! I bet the punch was really good!

bermudaonion said...

I want to watch movies with you! With all that fruit, surely that drink is good for you. ;)

Heather S-G said...

This is so fun (and creative!) Debbie - plus, it sounds like the perfect party punch. I'll take mine with rum and brown specks, please!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that sounds so interesting, this banana rum punch. How fun to have that while watching Beetlejuice; I haven't seen that for ages. I remember though it used to crack me up.

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

Thanks for the laugh. What a fun story and what a fun punch...How do you like those bananas!

K-pop said...

Oh my gosh, this post made me laugh out loud! My husband adores cocktails and bananas... I can't let him see this or he'll demand we make it immediately, haha!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Ha ha ha love the Banana Slush Punch, very clever. Rum in mine please :-)

Amy said...

I mean, obviously the rum - so creative!

Kimberly said...

I love this. I the bananas idea.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Glad you made a punch and not a "bunch" LOL

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...