Tuesday, October 25, 2016

First Chapter, First Paragraph, Tuesday Intros


Today is Tuesday--- which means I'll be joining up with Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea and her First Chapter, First Paragraph
Tuesday Intros.
Where,  bloggers post the first paragraph of a book they are thinking of reading --- and get everyone's opinion to see if it grabbed them from the beginning or not.


My Paragraph:

Prologue...From the journals of Gustavo Silva, Jr: Last entry
January 9, 2011

In prison you learn that no one is innocent.  It doesn't matter whether you were wrongly convicted, if your crime was justified or if life constricted your path so brutally that even the most heinous act   came to feel inevitable.  The cell accepts no excuses.  There, no matter who you are, the truth will coming looking for you, in all its darkness and mercy.  Either you look back unflinchingly or you die.

What do you think?
Should I keep on reading?

My book?


I think I will!

*****************************
An  update!
On Tuesday, August 16th.  I posted my first intro paragraph about this book:

(If you want to see what you guys said about it, you can check out that post here)

And I did end up reading this one and I finished it last week.


From Goodreads:
In this funny, frank, tender memoir and New York Times bestseller, the author of A Homemade Life and the blog Orangette recounts how opening a restaurant sparked the first crisis of her young marriage.

When Molly Wizenberg married Brandon Pettit, he was a trained composer with a handful of offbeat interests: espresso machines, wooden boats, violin-building, and ice cream–making. So when Brandon decided to open a pizza restaurant, Molly was supportive—not because she wanted him to do it, but because the idea was so far-fetched that she didn’t think he would. Before she knew it, he’d signed a lease on a space. The restaurant, Delancey, was going to be a reality, and all of Molly’s assumptions about her marriage were about to change.

Together they built Delancey: gutting and renovating the space on a cobbled-together budget, developing a menu, hiring staff, and passing inspections. Delancey became a success, and Molly tried to convince herself that she was happy in their new life until—in the heat and pressure of the restaurant kitchen—she realized that she hadn’t been honest with herself or Brandon.

With evocative photos by Molly and twenty new recipes for the kind of simple, delicious food that chefs eat at home, Delancey is a moving and honest account of two young people learning to give in and let go in order to grow together.

From Me:
I love memoirs.
I love foodie books.
I love Molly Wizenberg.

I think a long time before I posted this on Tuesday Intros, my friend, Kathy from Bermudaonion blog, after hearing that I read A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg, suggested Delancey to me.  So, thanks to Kathy and all of you who encouraged me to read on.
4 stars from me.



7 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I'm wondering what brought Gustavo Silva to this point in his life. I'd keep reading to discover the rest of the story.
My Tuesday post features THREE WEEKS WITH MY BROTHER.

Care said...

YES! Keep reading. It's a lovely book.

ANN PATCHETT.

Emma Litttlefield said...

I don't know about this one. It's catching my imagination but not sure it's my type of book. I may wait for your review.

JoAnn said...

This one is on my wish list... because of Care, I think. Can't wait to hear what you think.

I loved A Homemade Life and need to make time for Delancy!!

Katherine P said...

I haven't come across The Orphans of Race Point yet but I'm intrigued! I loved Delancey! I found all the work in getting the restaurant going fascinating and I loved how honest she was. Glad you enjoyed it as well!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This on one that I've been meaning to try so, yes, I'd read more.

Margot said...

The first book is on my list. I like that first paragraph. The second book I've already read and loved it. I also love Molly Wizenberg. Happy Reading.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...