Sunday, October 2, 2016

Sunday Post and the Classics Club


This is my Sunday Post #9
The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer.

I am not consistent.
My last Sunday Post was on April 17th..

That's EXACTLY  how I began my last "Sunday Post", except for the date of course.
At least I am consistent on my non-consistencies.

Before I get started,  I am going to do this....
I am joining the Classics Club!
I've given this a lot of thought and read thru the 'very relaxed' rules a few times and decided to join---with my own spin put in.

The rules  (check out the Classics Club Blog here for everything you've ever wanted to know about it)  say I have to list 50 classics that I will read in the next 5 years.
Let me do that now....




Random Classics that I want to read:

1. Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut
2. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
3. Maggie: a Girl of the Streets by Stephen Crane
4.  Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
5. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
6. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
7. The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales by Edgar Allen Poe
8. Stoner by John Williams
9. From Here to Eternity by James Jones
10. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
11. Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
11.  Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
12. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
13. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
14. The Hound of the Baskervilles  by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
15. Petyon Place by Grace Metalious
16. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
17.  Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving
18. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
19. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
20.  The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bown

Classic Mysteries that I want to read:

21. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
22. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
23. Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
24. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
25. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
26.  Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
27. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by PD James
28. The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain
29. Beast in View by Margaret Millar
30. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

Classic Science Fiction that I want to read:

31. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
32. Dune by Frank Herbert
33. Logan's Run by William F. Nolan & George Clayton Johnson
34. Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
35. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
36. The Robber Bride by Margarett Atwood
37. The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
38. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
39. The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
40. Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Classic Children's Fiction that I want to read:
(Newbery Award Winners from 1964 thru 1974)

41,  Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
42. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
43. Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars
44.  Sounder by William H. Armstrong
45. The High King by Lloyd Alexander
46.  From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
47. Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt
48. I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino
49.  Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowska
50. It's Like This, Cat by Emily Neville

*****

My spin being the themes.
Also, this list is subject to change, as the rules state that this is a 'living' list.
My goal date is: December 31st, 2021
(yes that is 5 years 3 months---it was bugging me to end in the middle of a year--even tho I am starting in the middle. Go figure?)


Okay, now on to the rest of my Sunday Post:
On the blog this past week:  (it was a really busy posting week for me)
Wednesday -- Outdoor Wednesday
Saturday --  The Wednesday Wars
Saturday --  Saturday Snapshot
Sunday (this morning) -- Sunday Soup! Chicken and Kielbasa Soup

So, sometimes I'm a bit obsessive---but I had to get all those things done! Right?

Off the blog?

Walking-- I haven't done any lately and that makes me sad.

TV-- Well, all the new fall shows have begun, but I've been too busy writing blog posts.  Actually We are watching the latest "Walking Dead" season to come out on Netflix, as well as their new original series "Stranger Things".  And Football and the Seattle Seahawks of course.

Music -- Nada

Letters -- Nada lately and I have a whole stack to answer.

In the Kitchen -- oh my gosh I've done lots of cooking lately.  I don't know why, maybe the change in the weather.
But cooking lots and not walking is a dangerous combination!

The Handyman told me this morning that eating at the Stone-house (our house) is like going to a wedding.  I was like "what?"  He said, 'yep, you can't have any fun (or eat) until all the pictures are taken. 
It's not THAT bad. Really.

I still have coffee every Tuesday morning at 6am with my friend Debbie.  Have been doing it for 15 years or so.  Yesterday we snuck in an extra coffee date as her daughter was visiting from Kentucky and it was nice to see her and catch up.
Had dinner with our Friday Night Friends on Saturday!  Kind of discombobulating.
And today I am defrosting the freezer and guess what I found?  Christmas Cookies from last year.  Tossed them of course, but please remind me to not make so many this year.  Oh well, wait a minute---I will have grandkids here this year.
How much holiday baking do you do?
Do you make any fun stuff for Halloween?  Cookies? Caramel apples?  Do you read any good spooky books?

Have a good week!  Happy Reading--Cooking--blogging!!








6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wished I lived close to you - we could walk together.

I don't bake as much during the holidays as I used to since Vance is grown and we're so busy with the store.

Greg said...

I finished Stranger Things recently and liked it. And I've thought about joining the Classics Club as well. Some of those you've listed I want to get to as well. The Maltese falcon, The count of Monte Cristo.

I read Logan's Ru but didn't really like it, pretty different from the movie as I recall. Not that that's bad necessarily, but the book was just different. Might be just me though. And I thought Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH was quite good.

Anonymous said...

You are not shy about the classics. I think I can only audiobook them. Your husband's comment made me LOL. If you take pictures for IG or even just on your phone, the app, Foodie, is a good one; has great filters for each type of food and drink. Makes your dishes look dang good. I use it for IG.

Rachel said...

I started Stranger Things, but never watched it after the first couple of episodes. I'm just not much of a TV watcher. I prefer reading, and I don't have the time for both.

That's a great list. Welcome to Classics Club! :)

Care said...

IT's intimidating - 50 classics!!??! but I'm making really great progress. I also allow switching out/replacing so that know I will read 50 classics (just not exactly the 50 I listed at the beginning.)

Literary Feline said...

I like your spin on the Classics Challenge. :-) I would join if it were more like 25 in five years.

I hope you are enjoying Stranger Things! I just watched the second season's finale of Fear of the Walking Dead. I still don't think it's as good as The Walking Dead.

I hope you are having a great week!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...