Thursday, March 19, 2015

This and That




The Handyman and I are having a discussion.  You know the kind I'm talking about....   he is being ornery and I am not.

I came across a blog, Jenni Elyse and she has a weekly meme called  

I thought it would be fun to join in.
This week she asks, who are your favorite composers (mine is Marvin Hamlisch, which shows my age.  I loved the movies "The Sting" and "The Way We Were" circa 1970-something)
So I asked the Handyman who his favorite composer(s) were.
He said  Lennon and McCartney.
They did write music after all.
Butttt....when I looked it up, it said 
 The term "composer" is often used to refer to composers of instrumental music, such as those found in classical, jazz or other forms of art and traditional music.
In popular and folk music, the composer is usually called a songwriter, since the music generally takes the form of a song.

When I explained it to him, he said "soooo, songwriters actually do MORE THAN composers?"

And he had a tone. 
Hmmmph!
2 years ago when Marvin Hamlisch died, the Handyman didn't even know who he was.
I found that----
---- weird.
After 36.75 years of marriage.  I still find things about him --- weird. And amazing.  And fascinating.  And other mushy stuff, but weird?  It's right there on top.
But that's what keeps us together.
It's not love, like the Captain and Tennille sang about (they were not composers, but rather, singers and keyboard players for the Beach Boys, altho, the Captain was  the son of a famous composer, Carmen Dragon)

Where was I?  Oh...love does help keep us together, but it's the finding fun interesting facts after all these years that keeps us on our toes! 

I meandered way, way off topic. 

Composers!
I do like John Williams too!



No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...